News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch not disengaging

Started by stephy, January 24, 2012, 11:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephy

I bought my 96 Tiger which had been standing for a few(?) years
So, brake calipers overhauled, oil and filters sorted ( just out of interest I can get the air filter out without removing the carbs. Maybe the pervious owner did something clever with it) everything looks ok.
Started like it has last been run last night not last decade. So big grin, pull in the clutch and put into first gear ..... And it lurches and stalls and again and again. Just as if I didn't pull in the clutch at all. First thought is to bleed the clutch and hope that helps. Any thoughts anyone?
I should mention all the servicing etc was gone in a nice warm dry room. Now unfortunately it's outside permanently and it's 3degrees c. So lots of thinking going on before I try anything in the cold.
It could be several months before it warms up here in Scotland, then it rains....
Thanks in advance
Stephy

NeilD

worth a bleed/change of clutch fluid, if not then changing the m/cyl and slave cyl seals isnt a bigg job... actually thinking about it, maybe pop the slave cylinder off before bleeding it and make sure thats not stuck..

stephy

Thanks for that Neil. I'll Check the slave is not seized then replace the fluid. Just wish I'd know about this before I was having to look to tackle it in a cold wet car park lol

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like clutch plates are siezed ie stuck together.
Does the clutch feel heavy as if it's working normally but not working? Or does it feel light as if it's not moving anything. A bit squashy. Former is seized plates  latter is bleeding.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

stephy

The Clutch feels light(ish) but I should add this is the first time for me to use it so I can only compare with my car /other bike.
If it is siezed plates do you have any suggestions to free them up without a total stripdown.
Thanks for the help

Sin_Tiger

Yup sticky clutch but it shouldn't stall unless you are hard on the brakes, time to read up on Mustangs carb cleaning advice if it's been sitting sp long with old fuel in them.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

MIMbox

Hi There. Can you push it easily with the bike in neutral and engine off??
 Just discounting brakes.
Be aware of the sidestand interlock, which will cause engine to stop if stand down and clutch released when in gear.
If you have it in gear with engine off, will it roll easily with clutch pulled in?
You may be able to free it by rocking with bike in gear, engine off and clutch lever held in.

Just remember to ensure you have a WELL CHARGED BATTERY if you are doing lots of starts, you will screw the starter sprag if you let the battery weaken too far.

MarkShelley

There is another method to release seized clutch plates which I have used to good effect on smaller bikes as follows;-
Firstly, you need to get the bike running with the rear wheel in the air. If you have a mainstand it is easy, if not use a paddock stand.
strap the clutch to the handlebars
Start the bike and put it in gear. The rear wheel will obviously start turning.
raise the revs a little, probably around 2k will do, and hold it there. I also hold the front brake on to steady things a bit.
Now the bit that will either work.....or not.
With the heel of your boot, give the rear brake pedal a short, sharp, firm `jabs`.  Repeat a couple of times.
This should hopefully shock the clutch plates apart which will become apparent when the wheel stops turning.
If it doesn`t free after a few jabs of the brake then they are well and truely seized and will require replacement.
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

stephy

Thanks for all the advice guys.

First its not the brakes as I have stripped all three calipers and cleaned and polished and replaced seals and bled them. but mostly I know its not the brakes because I pushed the tiger 500metres to its present resting place lol.

The symptoms can be imagined so:
You are sitting on your bike with the engine running and accidently stamp on the gear lever knocking it into first, big clunk bike moves slightly forward and stallls.
Thats what happens when I try to select first with the clutch pulled fully in.
Checked the slave cylinder and the piston and is moving freely.

Will try Marks remedy tommorow and let you all know what happens.

Stephy

NeilD

did you bleed the clutch, just to confirm that the master cyclinder is pumping fluid... ?

stephy

Neil
I didnt bleed the clutch yet as it was raining and getting dark. The piston on the slave cylinder did move when I pumped the lever though. Definately a good idea to replace the fluid and bleed , I agree.
If only I had thought to do this before I moved the bike onto the street( did I mention it was in a nice dry warm room  before I put petrol in it.) :x
Cheers
Stephy

NeilD

the fluid in mine was this colour.. :shock:

P1000508 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

and whilst the clutch wasnt as bad as yours, the lever had to be right back to the bar before it worked, fresh fluid sorted it..   if you're lucky its just that..

stephy

On second thoughts Ill bleed it first, thanks for the pic and info Neil
Stephy

MarkShelley

Just make sure when you give my method a try that the bike is firmly on the paddock stand as if it comes off with the wheel turning without your weight on it it could be expensive. I guess you could strap the swinging arm to the stand as long as it doesn`t interfere with the chain.
Good luck!
This ole World keeps spinning round, it`s a wonder tall trees aint layin down.

Tiger 900
BMW R1100GS
Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California
Yamaha TT250R
Yamaha DT50MX
Honda MT50/C90 Hybrid racing moped!
Yamaha DT50MX

stephy

Thanks Mark
I had just remembered when a friend had his just completed rebuilt resprayed rebored etc etc Norton Commando round to show off, many years ago. Someone(not me thank God) had been sitting on it and had left it in gear on the centre stand. Owner starts it up on the centre stand and pushes it off the stand to be thrown to the ground with expensive noise all around then lots and lots of silence......
I was starting to wonder if I might be risking something similar as I'll probably be trying this on my own.
I will keep you posted
Stephy