News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

funny noise

Started by rybes, April 21, 2012, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

afternoon  :D  been out on me bike today and ive noticed somthin is not right with the forks. theres a funny knock over some bumps and high speed it can get a bit wobbly. also when im brakin it feels as if the fork tubes are leanin back against the stanchions ? sorta bendin feel to it. as well under brakin it sorta pogos. feels like the discs are warped. any ideas what it could be ?
its always done it since  irebuilt the forks when i done the bike. was never really a problem but its slowly gettin worse

cheers all  :wink:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

Quote from: "rybes"its always done it since  irebuilt the forks when i done the bike. was never really a problem but its slowly gettin worse

cheers all  :wink:
you need to take apart and see what ya done wrong

Bixxer Bob

Head bearings seated in the frame correctly and properly adjusted???

Yokes done up properly?

All brake parts correctly torqued up?

Judging by the miles you've done since the rebuild, I'd be looking at head bearings first.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

ya got a good point mustanf but im in the proces of collectin up bits for rebuildin my other forks for the 3 spokes, so ill do that first then look at the ones i got on there.
cheers bob, ill give that a look  :wink:

rf9rider

Did you use new bushes in the forks when you rebuilt them?

rybes

:lol: nah but ill be doin em on the new forks

rf9rider

If it isn`t the steering bearings, you probably need new bushes then  :D

Hows the 3 spoke job doing?

rybes

well it turns out i need new head bearins. well spotted bob  8)

rybes

well bearins are changed. it was definitly them. ill post up  pic tmora of em.
what a pig of a job that was. it was harder than i remeber when i took em out to rebuild the bike. its amazin how a bit of paint n nice powder coatin adds onto the job cos ya dont wanna scratch it  :roll:  :lol:
hopefully the bike wont feel like its cracked in the middle no more  :lol:

rf9rider

Glad thats sorted mate.

Now just those  wheels to do  :lol:

rybes

well been out on it today and all is not well. even with the adjuster nut as tight as i can get it the head bearings are still loose  :?:  
ive looked on world of triumph to see if theres somthin missin but all i can see is a CUP. STEERING BEARING HEAD WD whats one of them ? cant say i remember takin that of the frame.

any ideas ?

cheers  8)

Mustang

early steamers used a taper bearing on both bottom and top

98's use a taper bearing on bottom and a sealed roller bearing on top with a snap ring groove and snap ring to hold it in the proper location .

not sure about 97's but 96's and 95's both use the taper bearing top and bottom

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "rybes"well been out on it today and all is not well. even with the adjuster nut as tight as i can get it the head bearings are still loose  :?:  
ive looked on world of triumph to see if theres somthin missin but all i can see is a CUP. STEERING BEARING HEAD WD whats one of them ? cant say i remember takin that of the frame.

any ideas ?

cheers  8)

The cup WD is the roller bearing outer casing. You may or may not have replaced it, but if not,  you should have.  It would have needed to be drifted out of the frame. The replacement should be fitted using a special tool to pull it into the frame but a long bolt and some washers would do.  The new bearing and steering stem SHOULD NOT  be used to seat the new bearing cup. If you have the tapered upper bearing as well the same applies.

Sounds like riding it forced the bearing  cases home and created some space , and seeing that you can't adjust it further you MUST have missed something.  Thinking tho' and bearing in mind you're back where you started, the threads are not damaged are they? If they are you'd only get as tight as the first time before they started to bind.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

i got a 94 Mustang so its roller tapers top and bottom.

Bob, yup i changed both parts of the bearin. ill check the steerin stem threads tmora and see how it goes.
if the later tigers had differnt bearings i wonder if number 3 is a push in holder for it ? as no.4 seems to be both parts of the bearin ?

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_m ... k_03=23773

Mustang

I just did the bearings on my 96 and they were tapers on the top but don' remember the part #3 being separate from the frame , i'll have a look see and let ya know