News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltmeter wiring

Started by jphish, July 31, 2012, 08:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

Ok - I actually did a search (really) - but all I could find was charging system issues / diagnostics / solutions. Good stuff for sure - but need different info to hook up voltmeter. On my other bikes I have spliced into tail light wires. Any reason I shouldnt on the Girly? Better place ? Thanks in advance for any qualified response. Cheers, j

Mustang

the voltmeter will be more accurate if you connect directly to batt with heavy gauge wire
I would do a relay off the brake light to power it on , but the connection to the meter for checking the volts I would run thru the relay to gauge with heavy wire

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5255

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7310

both of these were in the sticky thread ..............might help

take pics right us up a how to , it make the sticky .

jphish

Thanks Mustang! Will take a look @ stickies. Install phase Friday. My Australian electrician buddy is out of town - so I'm on my own... look out electrons !! But not sure he'd be any help anyway - since current flows differently in Oz anyway.

iansoady

It's true that going direct from the battery will give the most accurate result but really what you need to know is whether the voltage changes from the norm - and for this you can connect it to any available live. I've connected mine behing the fairing.

It's easy enough to calibrate by using a multimeter direct across the battery.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

jphish

Iansody - Thanks for the 'short cut'. I have an LED (not digital) voltmeter I scavanged off my old (sold) ULY. So not exactly a precision instrument. But does tell me if I'm in the yellow, (12-v) instead of green range (13+v) & thus, time to turn off heated grips or jacket or aux lights. The tiggers (at least the Girlies - my 800 is fine) dont appear to have a lot of 'excess capacity' for electron generation. Cheers, j