News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprint 1050?

Started by BigDan, September 01, 2012, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDan

Anyone here rode one?

Since my income has significantly improved (approx £400 extra pcm) I'm looking to upgrade. I love the tiger, but I would like something a tad sportier. Something I can get and just ride without having to buy the extras (such as the screen, hugger and exhaust I've bought for the tiger, and the suspension upgrades I think I need to do on it).

Ofcourse I'll be speaking with the local dealer about a test ride, but I do very much look forward to hearing your opinions.
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

Chris Canning

There by hangs a story,when the 1050 sprint came out I test rode one at Windy Corner a shop I had dealt with for years before Triumph pulled the plug on e'm.

It was one of the first supplied by the factory to dealers as a demo,now over the years I've ridden several first issue Triumph demo bikes,and I've always had a gut feeling they ain't stock!!! so here goes.

Took off up the road and it felt fantastic,Japanese fuel injection which felt so much better than the Sagem,bike fitted me perfect and fankly I thought was fantastic not in a way with my K1200 which blows your socks off,more a just get on with and get the job done in a sofisticated kind of way.

Got home and couldn't shut up about,in the end my other half had enough and said OK lets go and have a look together,got there, different bike thought nothing of and off we went,it felt nothing like the original and two up was an absolute disaster,passenger is pearched up in the gods and the moment I started to turn the wick and needed to tuck in behind the screen my other half wasn't happy and with 20 minutes realised it was a waste on time and that was that.

The good news I know guys with passengers who like being high up,but they don't travel far or fast,so it's each to his/her own.

As for buying a bike that doesn't need upgrades,not a hope,when bikes are built there are two priorities price and the TUV emissions,niether of which are conjusive to either a well suspended or well mapped bike,but the closest you will get is a jap bike because they like to do bland.

Sin_Tiger

+1 you'll be on Ebay before the exhaust has cooled, why? Woot Chris said.

A VFR but way more entertaining.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

When it comes to buying bikes I'm cold blooded(very) cover all the options and think it through,if you've money to spend I'd test ride as many as you can,I've 3 mates who have gone ZZ1400 mad,I also think they have gone mad!!,but when I know how they ride!!! and they tell they never have to go near the redline and the bikes are doing 250 miles on a tank of fuel who cares if it's big and ugly,and while were talking fast and dubious go to a BM dealer and ride a K,all these big bikes are warp drive,if you have never had one very addictive when you can put the rest of the world into slow motion  :wave

I'd certainley ride a Multistrada,and I'd also have a look at a KTM SMT,you sure as hell won't need to buy aftermarket suspension with one of those(SMT),bare in mind they'll come cheaper as there's a bigger engined version coming but even the current is a 1000.

BigDan

VFR? One of the ugliest bikes on the market in my opinion!

I do like the ZZR1400 but couldn't face the insurance costs.

So, the reason it sucks is because its not great two up? Thing is for me, because I'm quite tall it will be beneficial for a passenger to be perched high so they're not leaning around me so much.

I'll test ride and see I think :)

Thanks for the advice guys!

PeteH

Quote from: BigDan on September 01, 2012, 09:59:46 PM
Anyone here rode one

No I like my wrists just the way they are....how about a 1050 Tiger if you want sportier.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

robxxxx

QuoteUmm, I'd have to ask the dealer if it will affect the trade in price. If not, i'll sell the full luggage.

From your other post it looks like your going for another Triumph then?

QuoteVFR? One of the ugliest bikes on the market in my opinion!

And the Tiger is good looking!!!! I think a visit to specsavers is in order for you my boy.......

Anyone care to comment on the VFR1200? Some very good second hand deals around. And while I know it never lived up to all the hype, it does seem to get a lot of praise in the press, for what its worth.
But I kind of have to agree with Chris on the K BM. The more I read, the more I want one. They just sound like the perfect all rounder.

Chris Canning

Timbox has actually ridden one,but to be honest it has never recovered from the kicking that MCN gave it on it's launch,folk accuse MCN of pandering to the manafacturers and conviently forget about the 1200 write up!!!.

What did for it is the fuel range,it's supposed to be a sports tourer and you can get the fuel range down to 100miles when pushing on,but I would suggest easier to live with than a K so long as you don't mind bland,and I say that in a nice way nor sarky.

Re a K!! blimey were do I start,forget any other 4 cylinder,dare I say it a cross between crude and brutal,I wouldn't want one as my only bike,as my wife pointed out,I was never going to get done for speeding I was going to get locked up,is it fun to ride?? oh yes  :XXsunsmile,but when it comes to travelling distance the old Tiger would murder it  and does,for fuel range/comfort and dealing with bad roads,as I've found a big fuel tank also make for a fast bike over a distance,having said all that we are off to Le-Mans on thursday,have seen the weather and the K may well be the steed of choice.

Were the problem comes in riding a K,all your sense's(mostly common!!) will go out of the window when the bike runs past 100mph like your Tiger does at 40.

aeronca

Ive ridden one. their ok, fast, handle good. BORING :sleepy1 I wouldnt concider it an upgrade by any means - just my 2 cents.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Chris Canning

Couldn't help thinking about this thread bearing mind thoughts about going to Le-Mans this afternoon,it never sounds right on a one make board but our old 955 although a lot modified is the best bike we have ever had for travelling on and bizzarly have choosen not to go on it because it makes life just too easy and we are going on the K.

Which brings me to my thoughts on the 955,it's not getting any younger,and I had a dalliance with thoughts of a Multistrada apart from the fact it didn't feel relaxed at high speed on the motorway and my mates little boy didn't sign for their MotoGP team!!!so the prospects of a cheap one vanished!!!,the whole thought process stopped which at the moment has gone on to buying another 955 as back up,the problem being as another gent has found on here they don't like standing for any length of time.

One things for sure I still don't any prospect of an alternative,instead of like Dan is thinking is fine, but the same as I still don't see an option,it'll be interesting to see this Sport Tiger or what ever it's going to be called when it turns up.

John Stenhouse

I think I'm with you on that Chris, I keep thinking maybe another Tiger and then I think why bother the one I have is fine and it's not like I'm short of bikes if it went bang next week!

Mines bought and paid for long ago and does everything I want it to, why change?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

BigDan

PeteH

Thats the trouble when you get an itch...you have to scratch it...have fun on the 1050 :thumbsup
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

BigDan

trophydave

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 06, 2012, 08:41:28 AM
the problem being as another gent has found on here they don't like standing for any length of time.

I don't want to derail the thread but could you please tell me more about this.The reason I ask is I have been offered an 01 Tigger with a really low mileage on it.I would expect to have to change all the fluids,fit new tyres etc.The bike is immaculate but I don't want to buy it if it's going to be trouble.