News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stripped out tank bolts

Started by audiododd, September 17, 2012, 08:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiododd

I was installing an electrified tank bag, so I pulled the tank of my Girly (thanks, stickies!) to route the wires. When I put the tank back on, I started torquing it down to 6.6 ft-lbs and it never got there before jumping the threads (on the front mounting bolt). I can't really see into the threads on the frame, but the bolt it boogered up  Has anyone else had a problem like that?  I'm going to get a new bolt and hope that the frame threads aren't shot. Otherwise, I've gotta tap it out and go for a bigger bolt.

Also, the Torx bolt on the rear tank mount had its head strip out while I was tightening it. Maybe the PO tried to take it out with a Philips screwdriver :-). It's a shame the closest dealer is a 40 minute drive and BikeBandit will kill me on shipping.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can\'t always be sure of their authenticity." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Mustang

quit using the torque specs on stuff like this , cuz stripped is what will happen..............hand tight snug works well on all the body fasteners and such .
use the torque settings on major components , wheel axles , engine bolts , etc . and watch it on the engine covers too as the aluminum will strip about the same time the torque is right  :BangHead