News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HID lights

Started by Bob Tosi, August 30, 2012, 07:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleTragic

They are a retrofit HID projector kit bought from here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=237

As you can see the cut off on them is very sharp so no more blinding other road users with the extra light spill from the HID globe I had and they are also much brighter. I haven't had them out on the road yet as there is the small issue of the blown motor to deal with before that happens but all signs so far are good.

They are not self levelling so are technically still illegal, but then so are loud pipes, single bar end mirrors and auxiliary fuel tanks...so lock me up.
Good things come in Threes

Bixxer Bob

Thanks. Only my first impression was that you bike was being rodgered from behind  :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

London_Phil

Is that Scooby getting too friendly??

TripleTragic

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 13, 2012, 12:25:30 PM
Thanks. Only my first impression was that you bike was being rodgered from behind  :hat10

Haha! yes it is a little pop-eyed. It does remind me of those surprised cartoon wolf characters from looney tunes

Fortunately, the driving motivation for this is performance at Oh-Dark-hundred rather than how it looks...
Good things come in Threes

Sin_Tiger

I have not had good experience with those Pre focused lenses, have them on the wife's car dip beam, even with Osram night breakers and the best adjustment, the actual light on the road is crap. I suspect the lense is scattering much of the output (there is a halo visible) and the heat on the actual glass its high, telling me a lot is getting trapped by the glass.

The best "traditional" arrangement I have come across till now is the clear lense parabolic reflector type they use on the recent Bonnevilles. I will happily go out on the Thruxton at night and never feel I can't comfortably see the road ahead. Until some  :pottytrain2 comes the other way with cheap Chinese HID's with poorly adjusted beams and LED's blazing   :doubt
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

FoothillRyder

Quote from: Bob Tosi on November 08, 2012, 05:37:00 AM
where can you buy these xenon bulbs?

Pretty much anywhere that would otherwise sell H4 bulbs. I've bought Hella Xenons at Amazon, and Drag Specialties Xenons at MC Superstore online. They are no more expensive than standard H4's with the same power rating.

:thumbsup
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com