News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Serviceing your bike

Started by Chris Canning, February 10, 2005, 10:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Looking at the various posting on the subject,heres my two pence worth.

I wouldn't let anyone work on my brakes full stop,i do everything my self.

Oil changes,chain ajustment,air filters I do those as well.

Were it gets complicated,I don't shim the motor or put a tune in,and on the basis of,a) a dealers got to make a liveing and b) as it the only tiger i've got and can never be  100% sure that it's running as well as it can thats when it goes to a dealer,letting them change the oil is just my way of towing the line so they can make a bob or two(nowhere days i get my oil for free!!)and strangely enough because i do a reasonable amount of work on it myself get a dam sight more respect of e'm.

Hence when after my 12,000 service at 15000 miles and they'd dropped a bollock by missing something out, when i went back and told i wasn't happy with the way the tune was they more than happy to make an effort and get it right.

Chris

robbo

Chris,

I agree with what you say, Im not to mechanically minded but manage to change brake pads, adjust my chain check tyre pressure etc but as you point out there is a balance which has to be struck.

ONE: I get the bike serviced at the dealer because I want my book stamped to keep the value up.

TWO: as you say it is necessary to let your dealer make a living. It doesnÃŒt do anyone any good if dealers go bust. It means less competition and higher prices. Its also a pain in the ass if you have to travel miles to find one when there was probably one just down the road ( if only we had used him ).
best Regards

Robbo

ridin gaijin

I think that's a healthy attitude. Like Chris there's a point beyond which I'm not prepared to go--not having the engineering aptitude of a Sasquatch or perhaps a Blacktiger. OTOH, for some of us, geography (i.e. distance) necessitates a degree of self-reliance.

HEY! Sam's Club sells Guinness in 15-packs! Costs about $1.16 per brew. :shock: I'm so happy!

PS If you guys want me to come over and be your king, I promise not to marry Camilla. I can drag her behind a team of Tigers if you wish... :twisted:  :D
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Mark

Just on the servicing, I searched for a current manual for the Tiger and all there is is a manual covering the 'triples' (Tiger included) up to the year 2000. As my Tiger is a 2001 build date, does anyone know if this manual is relevant for maintenance for 2001 models. My thinking is it problably is as there is now significant differences in all the Tiger's once the 955i was fitted.

Any help out there in the ether?

Mark
Alcohol & Explosives the key to a happy relationship.

Sasquatch

My dealer, and their Triumph mechanic are fantastic.  But, I still will not let anyone work on my bike unless it is a warrantee item, and even then.....

Just my own personal analness.  No one will do as good of a job as me.  When I work on my bike (or cars), Every part gets scrutinized, cleaned and/or replaced.  I will take time doing things that the dealer will not or they would loose a bunch of money.  I have BMW 7 series that is 16 years old, ane two Porsches, one is 18 and one is 31 years old.  They all function and drive as new.  And I mean as new.  Just my personality.

My dealers mechanic would even go to bat for me with Triumph.  If  Triumph ever tries to deny a warrantee because I do my own work, he would make sure they pay for it because he knows what kind of wrench I am.  

I do pay this all back by purchasing all my parts and tires from their shop, even if it is a bit more expensive than mail or internet order.  They seem to have no problem with our arrangement.

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"HEY! Sam's Club sells Guinness in 15-packs! Costs about $1.16 per brew. :shock: I'm so happy!

PS If you guys want me to come over and be your king, I promise not to marry Camilla. I can drag her behind a team of Tigers if you wish... :twisted:  :D

Guinness in 15-packs!!!!!!! Where are my keys, got to get to Sams before they close...

Now RG, do you really think that you could fullfill all the job duties and responsibitlities that the King would have? I mean, that must be a tough gig and all...hmmm, hold on a moment, what are the the job duties and responsibilities of the King/Queen of England?

As far as self service goes, I do everything that I am capable of.  It is fun.  Good garage time is hard to come by and it is sometimes necessary to schedule an evening-long preventive maintainence session, and the dealership is not real handy in respect to location.  I do buy all my parts and oil, thus far, from the dealer (PJ's) and will continue to do so.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Slim Dave

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"HEY! Sam's Club sells Guinness in 15-packs ... I promise not to marry Camilla

You sure you wouldn't be willing to have a go, after 15 cans of Guinness? ;)