News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

mirror-mirror who is the fairest of them all

Started by Ron in Buffalo, February 07, 2013, 02:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron in Buffalo

Hi everyone I have a 1999 tiger 885i--is it better to change the mirrors?or bar ends?--if so what kind?or using mirror extenders a better option. Thanks in advance. Ron

Mustang

if it's because your lookin at your shoulders in the mirrors .................mirror extenders are what you want .
and as an added benefit some folks claim reduced buffeting and wind noise one they moved the mirrors out .

blacktiger

Quote from: Ron in Buffalo on February 07, 2013, 02:06:12 AM
is it better to change the mirrors?or bar ends?

Bit of an odd question really. Are you trying to reduce blur in the mirrors?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Ron in Buffalo

blacktiger

Quote from: Ron in Buffalo on February 07, 2013, 07:29:42 PM
I am trying to reduce buffeting.

In that case your gonna need a set up like this for winter...

And this for summer...

Ron in Buffalo

Blacktiger what mirroes do you have on your bike? I just order the the Palmer large screen and brackets. I love the bike-hate the buffeting. I heard and read hand guards cause buffeting as well. Trying to get it sorted out before the season starts. By the way mine is black also(the fastest color).  Ron

blacktiger

Quote from: Ron in Buffalo on February 07, 2013, 10:42:40 PM
Blacktiger what mirroes do you have on your bike?

Which bike in which photo?
I guess you're referring to the folding mirrors on the 955 in the top photo and the 800 in the bottom photo. They are by F.A.R. and made in Italy. I got mine from Touratech but I've since seen them available from KTM and other places. They fold inwards so that they don't get damaged in a fall off road.

In addition I observed that wind was coming at you from the narrow part of the fairing beside the screen so I made some extra width there.

They made a difference but still I thought it could be better. So I experimented with some small spoilers.

Those did a really good job so they're still on the bike.
BTW, I found that the Palmer screen works best for me at its lowest setting in all directions. With that set up, which I admit looks a bit Heath Robinson, allows me to sit at any speed in total comfort. Indeed I've had to readjust my speed awareness because I found myself doing 15mph more than I thought.
Hope that helps.

Ron in Buffalo

Blacktiger thank you for the information. Ron

cosmo

Or, if your winters are a bit more, um, winter-y, mayhaps a setup like mine own, good for 250 miles (400Kms) at -16ÂșC just this past New year's.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.