News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie saying Hi and looking for buying advice

Started by sweetpea, March 04, 2013, 12:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweetpea

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and found the site as i am doing some buying research before i bite the bullet.

I am looking to buy a steamer probably something mid nineties ... i have about £1500 to spend

I have seen a few on Fleabay which i like however wanted to get some advice before i go looking... is there anything in particular that is an absolute no no when viewing so i know when to walk away?

Any advice or tips apreciated

SP  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Top of my list would to be to ask if the sprag clutch on the starter has been done.  The owner will probably say yes and there's no way of checking but if he can produce evidence you are on a winner as just about anything else is fixable (sprag is fixable but you have to factor in big money..) yourself if you're handy.

I'd also look around the headstock for signs of accident damage. It's unlikely, but there has been one on here recently).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

London_Phil

Welcome to our world... Where are you located in UK?.
I would look at condition of bolts into tank. Make sure they are all there, and ask the seller if he can show you each one removed and replaced. Reason, they corrode if left, are very difficult to remove once stuck because the captive nut inside the plastic tank is not in a great deal of plastic. Not the end of the world, but worth noting.
Discs are not common with other Triumphs, well the fronts aren't, and they aren't very meaty to begin with
As far as sprag goes, check it starts from cold with a healthy battery, and is not laboring. if the sprag clutch is ok, and the battery is good, its probably going to stay working. Ask when battery was changed.
Older front fairing frame mounts, with one support, can fracture, leaving the whole front a bit loose.
Coils can cause problems with running, but easily diagnosed, and can be sourced easily, or converted to TT600 stick coils.
Rear frame can crack behind battery area if run with heavy  pillion for a lot, but again easily cured.
Sounds awfull,, nah, I love me Tigger, and for the Uk, without the high Ethanol petrol our transatlantic bro's have, we dont get too many issues with cruded carbs and stretching tanks, mainly good ol english rain in the tank.
Lots to love, and a few niggles, and the big bonus of a fantastic set of guys on the Forums.
Get out and spend money....

rf9rider

Welcome, are you looking at anything particular on Ebay?

Reason i ask is my old Steamer number 1 is up for sale again, the blue one in Wales.

sweetpea

Quote from: rf9rider on March 05, 2013, 01:23:58 AM
Welcome, are you looking at anything particular on Ebay?

Reason i ask is my old Steamer number 1 is up for sale again, the blue one in Wales.

Hi... yes just had a quick look at yours, it looks good. Its a little more than i wanted to spend though unless your open to offers?  :thumbsup

I do have a few more standard ones to look at.... so please keep me posted, i check on the forum several times a day.

Thanks

rf9rider

Not mine now, i sold it to the current owner a while ago.

Make him an offer, you never know.

sweetpea

Quote from: rf9rider on March 05, 2013, 12:06:50 PM
Not mine now, i sold it to the current owner a while ago.

Make him an offer, you never know.

Cheers mate... thanks for the info.... if i go looking, is there anything you can tell me about its history that i need to be aware of?

Have all the usual 'issues' been rectified ?

I was a bit concerned that it was a little overpriced.... what your opinion?

Thanks

rf9rider

I`d say it was a little overpriced in the current market.

It was running and riding fine when i had it, although can`t say if the current owner has done anything to it.

Here`s some info on what i did to it.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,6956.0.html

sweetpea

Quote from: rf9rider on March 05, 2013, 12:20:13 PM
I`d say it was a little overpriced in the current market.

It was running and riding fine when i had it, although can`t say if the current owner has done anything to it.

Here`s some info on what i did to it.

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,6956.0.html

Thanks for the info... very much appreciated, wow you have been busy  :notworthy

Might arrange a viewing and see what he'll take.

Thanks