News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Question to the American contingent

Started by BruKen, April 24, 2013, 03:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

There has been a lot of talk of an imminent EU directive to introduce 10% ethanol into our fuels here in the UK. Should that pass is there any significant changes that need to be made to carb rubber components including manifold that needs to take place. I know in some african countries I have lived in the change was facilitated by moving from a black rubber compound to a red rubber compound to prevent component deterioration in high alcohol content fuels.
i.e. are your gaskets, diagaphrams, o-rings etc the same compound as ours presently?

Mustang

we been running 10% ethanol for quite a few years and I have only seen brown crud form in the float bowls , and the fuel goes lame after a month or so of standing idle .
I have seen no damage to any rubber orings or gaskets or manifolds on any of my 4 tiggers , just that crappy brown shit that ends up in the float bowls over time .

threepot

Thats good to know. Imagine the hassle/cost of changing o-rings/rubbers etc!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

BruKen

Rallyroo

You can look forward to this, though:

Ethanol in the gas leaches through the plastic and will slowly separate your paint from your tank.

Mustang

it aint the ethanol that causes that ...............................
some tanks were not prepped so good in the beginning .

it's the plastic tank in general that causes that , as the nylon ages it shrinks and the paint doesn't .

Rallyroo

Quote from: Mustang on April 24, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

it's the plastic tank in general that causes that , as the nylon ages it shrinks and the paint doesn't .

Interesting... I've had bubbles happen on dirtbike tanks under stickers, and always figured it was EtOH or something offgassing through the plastic. Good to know that it won't happen again if I repaint it!

Mustang

Quote from: Rallyroo on April 25, 2013, 12:36:53 AM
Quote from: Mustang on April 24, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Interesting... I've had bubbles happen on dirtbike tanks under stickers, and always figured it was EtOH or something offgassing through the plastic. Good to know that it won't happen again if I repaint it!
well for awhile anyway.  :hat10

Rallyroo

I'll be using bedliner. If it gets ratty again, I'll just reshoot it!  :hat10

BruKen

I'd support Mustang on this in as much I believe (but stand to correction) it is / was illegal for a manufacturer in the UK to sell a bike with anything other than a metal tank. It was the first thing I noticed on arriving here, all the XR's offroaders etc with metal tanks.... half stove in. How Hinkley bypassed that I do not know, but the reason behind the ban was fuel leaching through plastic. I surmise Hinkley tanks do not leach fuel. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong on that tidbit of info.

Sin_Tiger

They all do sooner or later, I'm told by one who does know that's why all the "plastic" tanks, including the factory ones out in the East have stickers rather than paint. The guys who make Safari tasks on Australia told me I could paint if I wanted but it would blister eventually regardless of the fuel used.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

fepn26

Phase separation when the weather turns cold and you end up with water at the bottom of your tank.  Drain about a pint of the tank every once in a while depending how long the bike stays outside.