News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Died in motion?!

Started by HeavyHustler, August 11, 2013, 07:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyHustler

Well after many moons I have finally got the ol girl sorted!  :wheel

BUT.......whilst trying to repair a spinning nut I broke through the tank.  It cracked at the very back of the insert area.  So I am now going to repair the whole plug, as per the spinning nut thread, are there any specific repair epoxy/polymers I should get or stay away from?
Also Since I had the tank off for a period of time it has expanded.....now I can't fit the fairings on....... :icon_rolleyes:
A friend mentioned leaving the tank empty and open for several days in the sun and the tank will return to it's regular shape.  Anyone have some experience with this?

Cheers and happy New Years!

Mark

rf9rider

I`ve used JB Weld to help a leaky tap, so far so good.

London_Phil

I believe the higher levels of Ethanol in US are causing Tanks to soften, allowing the shape to change slightly when not mounted. I remember a thread from way back suggesting using straps to reform the tank over time. Probably best to leave attached wherever possible once back on. I bought an old tank ages ago, and cut it up, like you do!, and this is the amount of materiel you are working with around most tank inserts.
Take care.

Regards and Happy new year, Phil

HeavyHustler

Thanks Phil!  I found that thread, after the fact, dammit!  LOL!  Well I found some cold weld tank repair goo and patched her up last night.  Let it sit for +16hrs like it said and it worked a treat.  Got the plastics back on with all the bolts except one on each side.  I can live with that until the tank decides otherwise.....lol!
Happy New Years!

London_Phil

Glad its sorted. I changed all the screws in my tank for this set up, and It means never having to worry.  Stainless items, and no screwing the tank, as it were..