News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Died in motion?!

Started by HeavyHustler, August 11, 2013, 07:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyHustler

On my maiden voyage the bike made a strange noise and I lost engine power?  Pulled over, tried to restart and the bike would turn over but no fire?  Fuses are good, fuel is flowing from the tappet.  When I turn it over it makes a sound like its releasing air?  If I give it WOT the air sound stops.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Cheers,
Mark

HeavyHustler

Quickly checked the clutch safety switch and it's not that..... :icon_study:

Mustang

try the sidestand switch................. :hat10

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Mustang on August 12, 2013, 04:21:48 AM
try the sidestand switch................. :hat10

That's my next thought.  However, will it still turn over even if there is a fault in the switch?

Mustang

Me_Rock

Check your spark plugs.

Last summer my middle plug back all the way out. The bike still ran, but it was coughing and had a airy-sucky noise to it. I rode it 30 miles home on two cylinders. Now I don't leave home without a proper spark plug wrench.

HeavyHustler

SSS operational. Checked for spark on #3, check.  Moving onto to carbs I guess....... :icon_study:

silkie

Sounds like the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) also called the ignition pickup coil. At least that's what I'm thinking has just happened to my Tiger with the exact same symptoms, well not exactly I think I have carby trouble too! I had this once on my Speed Triple, forum post about that over here - http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/109255-it-just-died-o.html#post1260455.

threepot

Worth checking the crank sensor GAP..0.7mm. Plug(as already said)? As silkie says,could be CPS? But bike normally restarts after it cools down. Could be defective ECU/CDI. My Trident used to just die,then re-start several minutes later. Turned out to be the 'Black Box' :icon_cry: Embarrassing when I was out with friends on their 'super' reliable Jap stuff  :icon_rolleyes:..'carry on.I'll catch you up' :icon_redface:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

coachgeo

Quote from: HeavyHustler on August 11, 2013, 07:52:54 PM
On my maiden voyage the bike made a strange noise and I lost engine power? ....
So.. what was it???
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

HeavyHustler

Since then I have found that there are many things that need attention and it's at the 24k mile service interval.  So I plan on doing the following:

carb rebuild
check the valves
check all connectors(grease em!)
new airbox/filter
fuel filter
reset ride height back to stock and adjust
LED all lights and upgrade headlight bulbs
refresh the rear shock, maybe a new spring
refresh front forks w/ gold valves and springs (later)
handle bar swap
crash bar install
repair fairing hole
replace spinning tank nut deal
center stand install (done!)
head light cage covers
replace the gasket below the front sprocket (leaks like a siv!)
starter/batt wire upgrade to 4gauge
***nology hotwires coil upgrade***(possibly)
I also found the subframe was broke on both sides and poorly welded so I'll be reinforcing that.....
some stickers of course!
AND a spit & shine

coachgeo

ahhhhhhhhhh......... was blind.......... but now I see........ and apparently now you see more than you expected orginally.  You'll get her all sorted.  It can be slow journey but you will.  I got to believe that........ my sorting is in its hmmm. 5th year?
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

the clutch pushrod seal , also located behind the front sprocket cover , is usually the culprit for spewing out oil .
also if the o ring on the alternator is torn oil leaks down and looks like its coming from sprocket cover , but that is usually only a few drips now and then .

HeavyHustler

Quote from: Mustang on September 17, 2013, 02:46:45 PM
the clutch pushrod seal , also located behind the front sprocket cover , is usually the culprit for spewing out oil .
also if the o ring on the alternator is torn oil leaks down and looks like its coming from sprocket cover , but that is usually only a few drips now and then .

Mine looks like someone just ignored it for a very long time........ :icon_rolleyes:

Bixxer Bob

Fit a Scottoiler, then you'll have so much oil and crud you won't notice an itty bitty leak  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...