News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger vs Street

Started by BRanstead, March 05, 2005, 04:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRanstead

just out of curiosity, can a Tiger (any 90's-00's) model spank a streetbike, like say, a Suzuki GSX600?

THats what most people(kids) ride around here, the older generation rides Harleys and the like.  The roads have been repaved for the most part, but all the fast roads (no cops) are a bit choppy.  Thought it would be really fun to show them up some sunny day. :twisted:

greg

It's all down to the rider.  Horsepower doesn't come into it unless you are on a straight. Most sportsbike riders haven't a clue what they are doing. That's my experience over many years, they tend to buy for fashion and sunny Sunday mornings. Equally the Tiger if well ridden will easily stay with a well ridden sportsbike.

As Mike Hailwood once said, 85bhp is all you can use on the road. Pretty much what an 885 Tiger has.

Having had sports and a Tiger, I would NEVER go back to a sportsbike.
2004 Girly.

Sasquatch

I agree with Greg.  I came off of 20+ years of sport bike riding and racing before finding the joys (and comfort  :roll: ) of Tiger ownership.  None of my buds who still ride back breakers, can get away from me in the twisties.  

But none of them have my kind of fun when the pavement ends... :D

robbo

I would agree with the comments so far, every now and then I go along with a ride from one of the local bike shops which has riders of all types of bike. The field usually includes a good sprinkling of younger riders on 600 sports and street bikes. In my experience its all pretty even on the A roads but as soon as we get to the B roads the field spreads out with the sports bikes tending to be at the back.

I donÌt think its just down to the riders, I think the extra torque of the bigger bikes helps in the twisties as we donÌt have to do as much gear changing.
best Regards

Robbo

knarf

Rider makes the bike, bike doesn't make the bike.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

NortonCharlie

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

zombie

I went from a R1 to my tiger and I put dymags on the tiger and on the tight twisties my sport bike brethren can't hang with me

way cool and comfortable too

robbo

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

very true
best Regards

Robbo

abell

I have a Daytona and a Tiger, and I think I'd ride either as fast as the other depending on the day. They are both more than you can fully use most of the time. I love both but I have to say, in favor of the cat, on the Tiger you aren't living with the tradeoffs for the additional potential that you can't exploit often.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Brock

So long as you ride within the limitations of the bike you won't go wrong. And don't expect to leave your sportsbike pals behind on the straights.

But in the twisties? In the right hands the Tiger will have a go at anything.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

BRanstead

thats good to hear, cause the guy that designed the roads in my town made them twisty so you couldnt go fast.  And then there are the access trails too.

sunny

Totally agree...the rider makes the bike fast buts its all relative. I've come from riding sportsbikes for the last 15 years and i'm definately quicker on all roads on a sportsbike BUT it's more fun on the Tiger cos i'm working harder.

ATDRS

Put a bump or two on that same roadway and watch them in your mirrors.

bmbskee

I reluctantly gave up my sportbike (ZRX1200) to buy an '05 Tiger since I want to do some longer rides.  My biggest fear was that the Tiger wouldn't be fun in the twisties.  Boy, was I wrong.  This thing is an absolute hoot on a winding road.  Kind of defies logic too, given the weight, high center of gravity, and skinny tires, yet for some reason the sucker flat out rails turns.  Now I'm going to sign up for a track day for two reasons: 1) fun; 2) even funner to embarrass the R6 profilers.