News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Reviving the Tiger

Started by dave NL, February 06, 2014, 09:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave NL

Ok, I got the tiger in 2010, more or less as a gift, with 5780Km on the clock! But,,,it didn`t run for about 10 years and it is kept outside under a cover since new in 1994 :-(

So, the carbs cleaned, serviced, 2001 model spoke wheels, new tires and a Ohlins rear shock further and it was ready for a bike trip to Germany. Very nice to ride, only the massive fork dive when braking is annoying. During the return ride from Germany already noticed that when starting the occasional clunk was there, oops! Anyway, got home with no issues, stored it for winter (9700Km).

Spring 2011 it was time to take out the tiger, mounted a healthy full battery and tried to start up. It ran, but barely. And the clunking sound got worse, damn sprag! Well that was it, no time, space and inspiration to fix it up at this point. I also have a Kawasaki zx9r which needed a head gasket. Same story, no time, space and inspiration, had another project to finish at the time, a 1988 toyota supra.

Winter 2012/13, the Kawasaki got the repair , cylinder bank skimmed, head skimmed, valves lapped.

Winter 2013/14, ok, let's start with the Tiger, it was sitting there for 2 years again, and already an investment is made when I got it, wasted if don`t repair it. The repair plan quickly  grew  in mini restoration.

What is the plan;

Sprag clutch (main issue) DONE
Alternator kit (preventing DAR) DONE
Gear indication plate , just did it anyway DONE
Valve clearance, ex not too bad, in was too tight, all are upwards into spec now, no worries.DONE
Carb clean, new seals, don't forget to remove the emulsion tubes DONE
Yamaha fuel tap, old one leaking in closed position, causes a lot of crud in the carbs! DONE
TT600 coils, converted with lip type seals (and TT600 connectors to make a harness) DONE
Front fork service included with 10% uprated springs
Rear brake piston kit
New type of turn signal indicators DONE
Fairing bolts and rubber rings
Seat cover, came out real nice, I'm really chuffed with that one! It's a cover from ebay, made in Poland DONE
All new seals and gaskets for the engine DONE
Spark plugs DONE
All new fluids, including brake and clutch new reservoir diaphragm
Some more screws here and there, coming from Triumph

At this point the engine is removed, repaired on the work bench and fitted back together. The carbs are clean. Fuel levels adjusted, and a bench sync with a vernier gauge.

The seat cover is replaced with a new cover, the old one became sticky and was porous, yuk! The frame is cleaned, so the time has come to mount back the engine in the frame!

Once the engine is back in the frame it will provide a nice base to lift up the bike to remove the fork legs.
Getting the tiger back on the road.

dave NL

Crappy picture of the seat  :icon_biggrin:

Sin_Tiger

That is one smart looking seat cover  :love10 hope the foam underneath does it justice.

You've really gone to town on it, they are definitely a labour of love but the rewards are well worth it. You're going to have one sweet Steamer there, with next to no mileage on it :Envy:

:new_popcornsmiley next installment  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rybes

:worthless altho the seat does look nice :)
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

dave NL

Thx! was the first time that i fitted a cover on a seat. The foam is actually still original, still in good shape, the new cover is less stretchy, its a little harder now.

Today fitted the engine back in the frame and torqued all the bolts. Got most of the wiring done and the hoses, routing is a bitch on these bikes!

Tomorrow the day off from work, hopefully enough time to tackle the front fork and some other small things.

Point taken, tomorrow i will make some pictures, although most is fitted  :augie

ssevy

I am planning on installing the same Ricor Intiminator valves in my Tiger forks that I installed in my 99 Legend forks. They are a very clever design, and nearly eliminate all brake dive while leaving the suspension pliable for bump absorption. You mentioned you wanted to get rid of brake dive. This may be a pretty inexpensive way to get there.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ssevy on February 06, 2014, 11:15:13 PM
I am planning on installing the same Ricor Intiminator valves in my Tiger forks that I installed in my 99 Legend forks.

OT - Did you get confirmation that they have a model that will fit the Steamer forks? Which forks do you have, the earlier ones with the drain screw or the later without, I'm not sure if there is any difference between them other than that screw. I'm interested to hear your results with that as I'm impressed how well they work on the Thruxton.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

I dropped them an email last night. I'll let you know what they say.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

nickjtc

Won't they fit as long as the internal diameter of the fork tube is the correct size?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

nickjtc

Quote from: dave NL on February 06, 2014, 09:59:07 PMThe foam is actually still original, still in good shape, the new cover is less stretchy, its a little harder now.

I am thinking of ordering one of these for Stanley:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/141164428408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The description is a little vague. Is the material vinyl or other synthetic material? I assume it is vinyl. In your opinion how well do you think it will cope with rain? Thanks.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

dave NL

Some pictures of thursday friday, got the engine fitted back, exhaust and radiator. The TT600 coils are installed. Today im probably able to start up. The sprag is already tested during priming of the engine oil.  :icon_biggrin:

threepot

Nice job on those coils :thumbsup  How did you seal them into head cover?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

dave NL

Quote from: nickjtc on February 07, 2014, 09:00:45 PM
Quote from: dave NL on February 06, 2014, 09:59:07 PMThe foam is actually still original, still in good shape, the new cover is less stretchy, its a little harder now.

I am thinking of ordering one of these for Stanley:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/141164428408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The description is a little vague. Is the material vinyl or other synthetic material? I assume it is vinyl. In your opinion how well do you think it will cope with rain? Thanks.

Yup, thats the same one i got, just state colour of stitching piping and the logo, cant go wrong! The people are from Poland. Will take about 2 weeks before they ship out. Made to order these ones.

Its made out of motorcycle quality vinyl or eq. Does look good on the tiger, looks a little OEM

Rain, yes, well no idea, im sure the material itself will hold up fine, the stitching we`ll have to find out, dont know if gleu is used between the seams. Im not really worried about it. Always possible to threat the seams with something. Anyway, its a lot better than the old one, that one leaked for sure!!  :icon_scratch:

dave NL

Quote from: threepot on February 08, 2014, 02:14:00 PM
Nice job on those coils :thumbsup  How did you seal them into head cover?

Very easy to do, just order Ignition Coil Seal from triumph, used on various bikes with COP. Partnr. T1291511

During start up i had 2 and 3 mixed up, oeps. Very un- intuitive how it is routed stock. But i didn`t check it properly anyway. Started right up after.  :icon_redface: