News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Carb clean/tune

Started by JayDub, February 07, 2014, 04:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

I think mine is due for a carb clean as it's not a pleasant ride at crawling pace/manoevering in 1st gear, it's OK through the rest of the range.  I tried adjusting the idle speed between 950 - 1050 and its happier at 1050, other than that it pops a lot on the over-run which is something I find irritating, also the right exhaust is black and sooty around the outlet.  I balanced the carbs recently which were not too far out, I was wondering if someone has messed about with the jetting etc so want to check that I still have standard jets - the airbox and set-up seems standard.  It doesn't cut out on idle,  I've checked for air leaks and cracked carb rubbers I will also replace the air filter and plugs, I just wanted to ask if anyone has come across these symptoms before, is it likely to be something in particular or should I also be aware of other possible causes.  The PO repacked the silencers, which is something I've never had to do before so wanted to know if he could have done it incorrectly, he said the bike was too loud (aftermarket Triumph cans), which he said improved it slightly and it passed the MOT, but to me they seem straight through.

Sin_Tiger

Do you mean it's jerky?

I'd be a bit dubious about the silencer repack if you have standard cans, they're welded end caps  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Before you start stripping carbs down,worth trying some fuel system cleaner..Seafoam or Profi,both avail on ebay. Give the bike a good blast with that in fuel,might sort it out?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 07, 2014, 06:43:21 PM
Do you mean it's jerky?

I'd be a bit dubious about the silencer repack if you have standard cans, they're welded end caps  :icon_scratch:
Hi Niall, Yeah, its kinda lumpy/jerky.  the cans are not OE, but aftermarket Triumph I was told, could even be from another triumph,  flat alloy ends, they have a series of 10/12mm drilled indents around the central outlet, held on with three allens which could be replacing rivets if he repacked them.  I took one off and it is fully filled with nice new looking exhaust fleece wadding.  I'll post a pic tomorrow if you like.

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on February 07, 2014, 06:54:03 PM
Before you start stripping carbs down,worth trying some fuel system cleaner..Seafoam or Profi,both avail on ebay. Give the bike a good blast with that in fuel,might sort it out?
I would normally have done that but I would like to see if the jets etc are as they should be.

Sin_Tiger

As far as I know, Triumph did not offer alternative can for the Steamer. The originals were made by Motad UK who did do alternatives, it could be a set of theirs.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

A picture paints a thousand words......     :icon_wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

I would normally have done that but I would like to see if the jets etc are as they should be.
[/quote]

I'm running 42.5 pilots,105 mains
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 08, 2014, 09:28:16 AM
A picture paints a thousand words......     :icon_wink:

Not if you're painting with a toothpick via a satellite link (Sat-C)  :icon_razz:

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on February 08, 2014, 02:17:12 PM
Is that the standard set-up then - 40/105?

dave NL

That would be a stock fit. I had 40/105 in my mind for stock, but 42,5 might run a bit smoother and isn`t much different anyway to cause problems
Getting the tiger back on the road.

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 07, 2014, 06:43:21 PM
Do you mean it's jerky?

Here you go Niall...

Sin_Tiger

Wow  :icon_eek: Def not stock, I'm pretty sure they are not Motad either. Couldn't say what make they are, and I've seen quite a few. They look more like something you might see on a ZR.

JayDub

OK, that's what the PO told me, so I spose the Triumph badges could have been added. I think they look OK tho :icon_biggrin:

Sin_Tiger

True, you can just drill the Triumph plate rivets out and put them on anything. The plate is mounted on a heat shield on the stock ones, any problems with heat, I know the carbon Zard I had on the 1050 you could touch after a ride.