News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Poor running

Started by chairhead, February 16, 2014, 03:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Plug in the Activa or TUNEECU and find the engine temp value. It should be whatever the air temp in your shed is.  Now start the bike. The temp should rise as the engine warms up. If it doesn't the sensor needs changing. 

If the sensor is good, and  assuming you now have the new battery fitted, what is Activa showing the voltage across the battery with the engine running to be? You should have around 14.5v but anything over 13v is ok (Ish).

If it's low you need to consider a mosfet reg/rec.  I still need to understand that fault code though. Can you list all the codes you found please?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Ok,
in the garage as I type, the temp is going up as I started the bike, the battery voltage is bang on.

Edit; I've just reset the TPS, this is the first time im able to, (strange I know) it was and has been on 4 all the times I've used T/ecu, turned the bike on after doing the 12 min tune thing and it runs fine  :icon_eek: , the only DTC being the fuel sender which isn't plugged in so im not worried about that, im going to let it get cold and come and start it again just to see what happens, so back in a few hours  :icon_scratch:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

chairhead

All seems to fine  :augie ,im not gunna hold my breath though :icon_lol: , again thanks one and all for your input, Bixxer a special thanks to you  :bowdown
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

Glad it's sorted mate.  And regarding the 12 min tune;  that process is for the pre- lambda bikes. The bikes with lambda can do the Adaptation which is quicker to do.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Just out of curiosity how does the TPS go out of sync?, and should it be on zero at all times?
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bixxer Bob

Only guessing, but there's a couple of ways I think. Setting the TPS calibrates the voltage from the sensor at the closed position and calls that zero.  If the voltage it sees later differs, then the ECU will think that zero is in a different position. Voltage variation can be bad connections, bad battery or bad reg rec.

Once set it should read zero on closed throttle and about 70% on fully open.

chairhead

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 04, 2014, 10:29:28 AM
Only guessing, but there's a couple of ways I think. Setting the TPS calibrates the voltage from the sensor at the closed position and calls that zero.  If the voltage it sees later differs, then the ECU will think that zero is in a different position. Voltage variation can be bad connections, bad battery or bad reg rec.

Once set it should read zero on closed throttle and about 70% on fully open.

Ok,
It may be that my old loom was the possible cause, thinking back to the problems I've had and the parte I've replaced im just glad its sorted now fingers crossed  :icon_biggrin:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Sin_Tiger

I think it'll still be worthwhile going over all the connectors when you get the opportunity.  If it's a similar aged loom to your original it will probably be only marginally better.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I got a few minutes to have a look at mine today.  Its had a tendency to die while ticking over at junctions for its last few outings. I first tried the 12 min tune only to find the engine wouldn't warm up enough to get the fan going, so binned that idea.  Rest the trims with the Tuneboy button.  That worked.  The went on to reset the TPS despite it already reading zero and 0.59volts.  BIG MISTAKE  :bug_eye

It started doing exactly as Chairhead described.  Bugger I thought, and needed a jumper battery to get it to fire up at all.  It did catch, but wouldn't tick over so couldn't register the new throttle position.  :BangHead :BangHead :BangHead

Eventually, after starting it and holding the throttle at about 3000 rpm for 20 seconds or so it reluctantly settled to a very lumpy idle.  A second reset of the TPS eventually sorted it.  I then did the Adaptation three or four times but noticed the O2 voltage wasn't swinging, it was a steady 0.46v.  A quick look at the fault codes revealed that the Lambda sensor heater voltage is suspect so next job is to fix that.

In the mean time, used it for a 60 mile round trip to a road safety meeting in Norwich tonight and it ran well, including idling at traffic lights so I'll now leave the TPS well alone.  It might be that I shouldn't fix the Lambda  :icon_scratch:

chairhead

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 06, 2014, 11:31:44 PM
I got a few minutes to have a look at mine today.  Its had a tendency to die while ticking over at junctions for its last few outings. I first tried the 12 min tune only to find the engine wouldn't warm up enough to get the fan going, so binned that idea.  Rest the trims with the Tuneboy button.  That worked.  The went on to reset the TPS despite it already reading zero and 0.59volts.  BIG MISTAKE  :bug_eye

It started doing exactly as Chairhead described.  Bugger I thought, and needed a jumper battery to get it to fire up at all.  It did catch, but wouldn't tick over so couldn't register the new throttle position.  :BangHead :BangHead :BangHead

Eventually, after starting it and holding the throttle at about 3000 rpm for 20 seconds or so it reluctantly settled to a very lumpy idle.  A second reset of the TPS eventually sorted it.  I then did the Adaptation three or four times but noticed the O2 voltage wasn't swinging, it was a steady 0.46v.  A quick look at the fault codes revealed that the Lambda sensor heater voltage is suspect so next job is to fix that.

In the mean time, used it for a 60 mile round trip to a road safety meeting in Norwich tonight and it ran well, including idling at traffic lights so I'll now leave the TPS well alone.  It might be that I shouldn't fix the Lambda  :icon_scratch:

Oh Man!!!,
welcome to my world  :icon_lol: , I hope what we've had isn't catching  :icon_eek:  :icon_wink:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

BB

If you can't get the fan on then there's something amiss,I fired mine up for the first time the other day,I did what I've done for the last 13 years during the winter started it,revved it a couple of times and then it just settles into a steady tickover(and always has done) and takes around 10 minutes or less for the fan to kick in,another couple of revs and turn it off,although this latest map has a tendency to pop just a tad as the revs drop before it goes to tick over and that has decreased a lot from when I had it blown in last year.

We've had this conversation before,but these Tigers do not hold a map(tune) well something I have never come across on any other bike,but for me that's a plus!!,the last map I had blown in before I went to Spain was fine for riding around the block and I regretted having it done,but 2/3000 miles it's settled down and has gone a lot flatter which is better for long distance travel all of which you can only put down to the Sagem system  :icon_scratch: and no wonder Triumph turned to the Japs for a solution.

Bixxer Bob

Yours settling down Chris, means it's trimming itself properly and everything is working as it should. My Lambda isn't working so it's not trimming itself. I have a spare though so an easy fix.

Chris Canning

Yes but what I'm getting at,that's not as it was in the first place,ie the map you have blown in doesn't exist 12 months down the line because the bike is doing it's own thing,I've 3 other fuel injected bikes and they certainly don't do that you have a map and it stays that way.

Sin_Tiger

It much depends on the makers settings within the ECU, most modern bikes running with Lambda sensors are running in closed loop and as such will adjust the trim tables dynamically. So either that feature is disabled or the conditions haven't varied outwith the parameter limits for the tables to be adjusted.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Triumph dumped the Sagem and went with Keihin on the 1050 says it all really.