News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new tyre & cracked rear disc

Started by daveb, March 24, 2014, 10:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

Put new rubber on the Tiger only to find 3 cracks in the rear brake disc, the mot is due less than a month. Bike has only done 22k miles, and the rear brake has not been sticking

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

SilverTiger

Blimey, well spotted.  This has prompted me to go and have a good look at mine.  Last September while descending the Grossglockner in Austria two-up and with luggage I found the bike turned into the many hairpins much better if I trailed the rear brake.  Half way down the rear brake overheated and the pedal went all the way down but gave no stopping power.  Quite unnerving!  The fronts were fine so we got down OK. At the bottom I noticed the rear disc was discoloured and the brake squeaked and squealed a bit for 100 or so miles, then sorted itself out.  I use EBC HH compound pads all round.  I need to change the fluid too I think.  Thanks for the heads-up!!
Ian
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

chairhead

Quote from: daveb on March 24, 2014, 10:54:55 AM
Put new rubber on the Tiger only to find 3 cracks in the rear brake disc

Yep,
happened to me not so long back, I was dreading the cost of a new one but was pleasantly surprised when I ordered it, new pads too  :nod
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

chairhead

Quote from: SilverTiger on March 24, 2014, 11:32:56 AM
  Half way down the rear brake overheated and the pedal went all the way down but gave no stopping power.  Quite unnerving!

Also have had that happen, at first its like  :icon_eek:........but once you've figured out whats happened and in a safe place its  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: and your sphincter can relax  :augie
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

daveb

Got to ask Chairhead is that a pint of Brains SA in your avatar? have you seen the latest offer for a free pint  :icon_biggrin:

http://www.sabrain.com/offers

Well the Tiger is going in on Wednesday for the rear disc and MOT, the guy give it a pre mot after he spotted the disc and this is the only problem.

I can change the disc myself, but its crazy at work and I have little time this week to do the disc change myself. so its easier for someone else to change it and get it mot'd

chairhead

Quote from: daveb on March 24, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
Got to ask Chairhead is that a pint of Brains SA in your avatar? have you seen the latest offer for a free pint  :icon_biggrin:

Its Brains dark mate, the Best Dark beer ...........in the world  :nod, great from the bottle but even better from the pull  :icon_biggrin:.....thanks for the link  :thumbsup
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel