News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Broken side stand

Started by Roadinator, March 25, 2014, 02:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadinator

Put the side stand down before heading out and the bike kept leaning.  Noticed one bolt on the ground with some metal casing.  Put it on the center stand and another bolt was flopping around, only the top bolt was holding on. 

So, do I have to get the one welded as it looks like bolt holes are part of the bottom of the engine casing?  The other looks like it had a sleeved thread (not sure if that is the right phrase) and can it get replaced?  This looks like something that can turn into a nightmare, but i am sure I am not the first one this has happened too.  I will have more time to spend with it this weekend and can send some pictures.  Anyone had to fix a broken side stand?

Thanks!
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Bixxer Bob

A couple of pics would help us understand your problem better and give a more meaningful answer.  If you don't know how to post pics there's a sticky showing the best ways.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Roadinator

Will get some pics up soon.

blacktiger

Sounds more like "broken side stand MOUNT" to me. Get the welder ready.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Roadinator

Sorry for the delay.  Moved last weekend and I'm still recovering...  Here is a pic of one of the stripped out holes. It seems they are threaded holes and can be replaced (how you do it, I don't know).  I guess some metal for support can be welded to the broken hole, but what about getting the threads out.  Anybody have any experience with this?

Mustang

do you have a center stand ?
better get used to using it ......................
that's not going to be easy or cheap to repair

Chris Canning

Blimey I've never seen that before could be fixed?? maybe but sure would be a hassle and like the man said better get used to using a center stand,although it's only this thread that has made me realise I do,I rarely use the side stand on the Tiger.

Roadinator

I use the side stand to get on and off the bike when loaded.  Hard to get the leg over while holding the bike up.  Will have to figure it out or get use to parking next to curbs to step on and off.

Chris Canning

I'd take it off because it's not going to take long stripping the other bolt out.

If you can find a really good alloy welder it may be possible but blimey it'll take some doing and even then I'm not sure If I would trust it.

Roadinator

How do I disconnect the kill switch?  Follow it back to where it begins and pull it? 

tntmo

If you're talking about the side stand switch, you need to splice two of the wires together.  I can't remember which ones though....

Quote from: Roadinator on April 06, 2014, 04:14:50 PM
How do I disconnect the kill switch?  Follow it back to where it begins and pull it?

edhaeuser

Why not try a helicoil?  Properly inserted, they are stronger than the original threads.  The only potential problem I see is the bit of broken area on the case.  If the entire threaded area is not cracked and the threads are deep enough into the case I think it would hold anyway.  I can't see where the other bolt inserts to mount the stand, but I would helicoil that one also.  I suppose it would be best to fill in the cracked area with a weld and re-drill, (and then helicoil) but then you are looking at dropping the pan at the very least.  I would want a good look at what is behind the area if I was to weld the hole.

Ed

Sin_Tiger

I'm guessing that the bolt has worked loose to the extent that it's overloaded the remaining thread contact. I'd be wanting to make up a new Bush with a spigot on the end, cut back as far as possible and then weld. Not ridiculously difficult but time consuming and need someone with the right skills and understanding of the materials involved.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

Agree with sin here, the mounting bolt has worked loose, or stretched, being the root cause.
As for fixing, a very good welder proficient in cast aluminium welding would be needed.
The area is underneath the water pump which will need removing.
TBH the best practice method is to strip the lower case off, weld and machine or as sin says make up a spigot to weld to the lower case.
Any half decent bike engineer could have one of these engines out and on the deck stripped in an hour and a bit....(Don't ask)!
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Roadinator

To me it already looks like there is some threads inside the bolt whole (instead of threads in the casing).  I wonder if it has had this problem before or is that the way it is made?  Just moved so I am pretty far from a Triumph dealer, so will ride it into the local Yam/Suz/kaw dealer and see if they have anyone who can tackle it.  Not sure I understand what a "bush with a spigot on the end" means?  Could I get a piece cut to a certain shape and welded in place and tap it for new holes?  The whole on the opposite side is stripped, but not broken.  Still useless without getting tapped I guess.  Will spend some time with it this weekend.