News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cooked stator wires

Started by MikeFromMT, March 30, 2014, 06:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeFromMT

I'll try and keep this short.  The Tiger was not charging, I could charge the battery with my home charger just fine so I suspected the RR, I attempted some tests and my suspicions where mostly confirmed, a new RR was installed and volts came back to where they were supposed to be, I let the bike run about 5 minutes then shut it off, 2 weeks later I prepare to go for a ride but the battery is now almost dead, bike turns over but the battery quickly dies (battery is one year old), back on the charger but now it won't take a decent charge, only about 70%.  I now suspect the stator, the stator connector is under the gas tank/airbox and I can't get to it at first so I remove the tank and airbox and find this. 

The wires were all touching
I have no idea what might have caused this, bad stator?  it is the stator wire harness on the bike side of the connector. The wires on the stator side are fine but on the bike side they seem to have gotten very hot. Yikes!
I now suspect the stator, RR and battery are all fubar, in addition to the wires at the connector.  Parts have been ordered and I'll splice new wires into the harness.
Thoughts?
Do I look like a man with a plan?

Bixxer Bob

You'll see this is quite common if you use the Search button. As I've had this on my Honda as well as Triumph I have two theories. Either corrosion on the spades in this connector cause resistance which causes heat which melts the plug / wires and the subsequent short destroys the charging circuit components. Or the reg/rec goes down  and draws more current from the stator than the plug can handle, destroying the plug and the reg/rec at the same time.  Or it could be any combination of the two. You could throw in a third option that the stator insulation isn't up to the hot oily environment it sits in and breaks down causing a short that melts the plug etc etc.  All feasible ideas, and you could argue for ever about which one is right.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

That's a Bummer mate, have look here, it might help, a good pictorial too, that said there's more than enough info on this forum to help with your problem.

http://www.motohowto.com/content/replacing-stator-and-rr-rectifier-regulator-triumph-speed-triple-2006
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

MikeFromMT

Thanks for the replies guys, I am well acquainted with this issue with Tigers, and knew it was a matter of when not if it happened.  My shock was at the burned wires and how close the bike came to a serious meltdown, not to mention thinking I'd fixed the problem only to be disappointed and embarrassed in front of my neighbor who was standing there when I hit the starter button.
That's a great link BTW.
Do I look like a man with a plan?

rex007can

Hmmm... I dont want to hijack the thread but I have a question.

Just biught a tiger last week.  Charging is dismal on it.  Did the sasquatch mod,  I get a steady 12.9 running,  but it can go down below 12 on idle.

Just ordered a new RR today.
Should I just get a stator now too?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

tntmo

Do all the tests on the stator and regulator found here.

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html

Check the 30 amp fuses, #3 I believe in the fuse box and the main fuse mounted to the battery box.  Mine were good, but a bit corroded.  Just changing them out improved my charging system.

Bixxer Bob

Fuse number 2 to be completely accurate.

You MUST have more than 12.5v at the battery with the engine off; more with it running.  If you don't, the ECU can't store trim values and you're on your way to a sick Tiger....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...