News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

VIN # decoding

Started by Mustang, April 24, 2014, 04:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

this ones for my hack

1998 Triumph Motorcycle Tiger

VIN    S    M    T    3    8    5    D    H    X    W    J    0    0    0    0   0    0

smt=   manufacturer  "Triumph"
385= code for Tiger steamer specifically
d= engine code =3 cyl 900 (885)
h= final drive ratio of 18/48
x= checksum #
w= model year (in this case its a 1998)  x would equal    1999 a "v" would represent 1997
j= plant code , j represents Hinckley
and the last 6 are the seqential unit #

JayDub

Can't figure mine... S M T T D 4 3 0 D K S * * * * * *

Geoff W

It is probably a North America/ UK market designation difference. My 1996 Steamer is also SMTTD430DKT******.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Mustang

are those the actual frame #'s  that are dot peened into the steering neck ?

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on April 25, 2014, 12:45:39 AM
are those the actual frame #'s  that are dot peened into the steering neck ?
You mean the ******? No, they are because I don't want to tell the world my VIN number  :icon_biggrin:
AH! - sorry, they are from the registration document.  :icon_redface:

nickjtc

The first 8 on Stanley are the same as yours. The 'checksum' # must/may be Canada specific?? It's interesting to note that even though Triumph was increasing production every year in the early Hinkley days they had still only made a total of 36,915 machines by the time mine was made in '96, assuming a sequential numbering system.

Compare that to HD's annual production of 300,000+ in their glory years. Of course that explains why V-twin cruisers are two a penny, whereas Triumph triples are rarer than rocking horse manure.  :icon_salut:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Yukon

I work for a company that does a lot of motorcycle and automobile financing.  This website works very well decoding both bikes and automobiles.

http://www.vin-decoder.org/

It decodes the Girly I had, but doesn't work for the explorer yet. The letter "O" does not exist in  a modern VIN Number, only "zeros".

Mustang

Quote from: Yukon on April 26, 2014, 12:37:43 AM
I work for a company that does a lot of motorcycle and automobile financing.  This website works very well decoding both bikes and automobiles.

http://www.vin-decoder.org/

It decodes the Girly I had, but doesn't work for the explorer yet. The letter "O" does not exist in  a modern VIN Number, only "zeros".
that's the one I used

97tiger885

Wikipedia gives a fair description of the history and standards for VINs.

I was curious about the purpose of the check sum.  Turns out it is designed to weed out miscopied VINs.  An algorithm uses all of the characters in the VIN except the check sum to calculate a  numerical value in the range 1- 10 where 10 is designated by x.  That value is compared to the check sum.  Lack of match indicates error.

nickjtc

Very interesting stuff. I'm also interested that the VIN interpreting website lists Stanley as a 'dirt bike'.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

I'm not much impressed by that, the only info it gave me was its a 1989 model? - and all this time I thought it a '95 :icon_scratch:

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on April 26, 2014, 02:30:54 PM
I'm not much impressed by that, the only info it gave me was its a 1989 model? - and all this time I thought it a '95 :icon_scratch:
what are the 1st 11 characters stamped in the frame neck ?
those are the identifiers of make model and year .

JayDub

I'll check tomorrow, Not in any fit state atm  :new_all_coholic

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JayDub on April 26, 2014, 09:24:51 PM
I'll check tomorrow, Not in any fit state atm  :new_all_coholic

:ImaPoser MoT not a great success then our are you celebrating ?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Mines
SMTTD430DKSXXXXXXXXX

on BOTH headstock And Vinplate, so 385 is probably for North America.
Mine also shows as '89, but is a '95.