News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Drivers on Mobiles

Started by London_Phil, April 29, 2014, 09:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Just commuted into London today on the Tigger, for the 1st time in a while, due to transport strike here in Town.
Absolutely horrified at the number of "folk" who genuinly don't seem to have an issue with talking and texting whilst driving.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Gonna get me a  a Helmet Cam  , and start uploading to the Mets Roadsafe website.....

Really surprised and sad at the attitude of drivers.
Regards

Phil

( feel better now I've had a rant, my wife's right!!!!!)

nickjtc

What's the penalty there for getting caught whilst 'driving while distracted'? It's a paltry $167 here.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Pet hate of mine, it really is astounding the number doing it and as you say, seem totally unconcerned about it  :icon_evil:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HockleyBoy

Don't get me started on ths, I commute into London all year round and nothing surprises me anymore, never mind mobiles, it is not uncommon to see a large Merc or Audi in the fast lane of the A13 doing 70-80 mph with a laptop or Ipad resting on the steering wheel so that the self important t***er driving it can get some work done on the commute.

Cyclists texting whilst riding, cyclist with headphones, van drivers eating a three course meal etc, I could go on and on  :BangHead

I think I will now go and sit in a darkened room for a bit to calm down before my ride home.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

With you there on all those counts. The only bright point was last year when I came up on a lass putting her lippy on, good loud honk while alongside her window  :bug_eye I had to try hard to keep a straight face after seeing the big red streak she put across her cheek as she braked, priceless.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 30, 2014, 06:42:07 PM
With you there on all those counts. The only bright point was last year when I came up on a lass putting her lippy on, good loud honk while alongside her window  :bug_eye I had to try hard to keep a straight face after seeing the big red streak she put across her cheek as she braked, priceless.

Love it, I must give this one a go, I pass plenty doing the same, must be able to get one of them to do this :icon_lol: 

There are so many dangerous things, I forgot the make up artists.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

TigerT

This really pisses me off as well, round here it's often mum's in 4x4's on the school run. They would be the first to moan if one of their offspring was splattered while some idiot was texting or chatting to their mates. It should be a mandatory ban as per being over the drink/drive limit. Organisations like MAG, BMF don't seem that bothered but it's a more vital issue to motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians than a lot of their campaigns.
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Bixxer Bob

Through my activities with the accident reduction bods at the Council, I have some contact with the high-viz clad speed monitors in the village who check speed with a radar gun and report offenders to the police.  Unsurprisingly, and like the above post, the biggest offenders are the mums on the school run.  It renders you speechless with the disappointment at the hypocrisy.....  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

In Singapore if you get stopped for it, they take the phone from you on the spot after removing the SIM card and you only get it back after paying the fine, if you get stopped for the same thing a second time the phone is taken from you, you get automatic higher fine, points on your license and your phone is automatically destroyed. My mate who's with the Car & Bike Traffic Police told me the bike cops get to do the smashing manually with a hammer while a second witnesses, he told me there was so much enthusiasm they had to agree to a duty rota and buy more hammers  :bad

Bixxer Bob

this forum needs a "LIKE" button...... :hat10
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Farmertom390

I drive a milk truck for a living (lorry) and with a birds eye view it's amazing the things you see drivers do. I usually give a solid tug of the air horn to scare the bejesus out of them.

HockleyBoy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 02, 2014, 11:43:11 PM
In Singapore if you get stopped for it, they take the phone from you on the spot after removing the SIM card and you only get it back after paying the fine, if you get stopped for the same thing a second time the phone is taken from you, you get automatic higher fine, points on your license and your phone is automatically destroyed. My mate who's with the Car & Bike Traffic Police told me the bike cops get to do the smashing manually with a hammer while a second witnesses, he told me there was so much enthusiasm they had to agree to a duty rota and buy more hammers  :bad

Sounds like the way forward to me  :icon_biggrin:

Sin_Tiger

You can get away with many things in Singapore but don't abuse the Traffic Police

HockleyBoy

Just when you think youve seen it all!, There I was on my commute home on Wednesday night, filtering between cars on the A13 when I see ahead a small car straddling the two lanes I am filtering between and swerving from side to side. Experience tells me its a mobile phone user sending a text so be carefull. I get behind, give a big rev with the TOR can, get the ususal reaction, the car swerves violently back accross its lane and nearly hits a car in the far lane, straightens up and then I can pass.

When I get along side I look in to see what the distraction is and there is a middle aged women driving and knitting, f£$%ing knitting!

Often I am tempted to offer the driver some words of wisdom as I pass but on this occaision words failed me.