News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tiger down

Started by ynotbiker, July 05, 2014, 09:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynotbiker

Hi all after spending a fortune on my bike ie new engine build ,new hagon shock,coils etc was out enjoying myself 2 weeks ago up Alston,Northeast of England, left the café at Hartside and only travelled 300 yards a car travelling on my side of the road overtakeing a cyclist came at me head on. I swerved to the right trying to avoid him but he turned back in at the sametime and we c ollided. I went 15 foot in the air and don't remember a thing after that until I was taken away by air ambulance. Ive been in touch with the insurance company and the bike is a total loss. Im hoping to buy it back and get some cash too. Anyway ive ended up with a broken hand,cracked ribs and bruising all over. I do count myself very lucky. I did think about chucking biking in altogether at one stage but that only lasted 2 hours so if there is anybody out there who knows where there is a decent steamer for sale I will be right up for it. I saw one on ebay at a dealers but it doesn't light my candle. Maybe mine can be repaired but as I was knocked out im not sure of full extent of damage so need to speak to insurance company. I am really gutted as I will be out of action for at least 6 weeks so will miss the Scotland meet. Anyway everyone ride safe as you never know whats round the next corner. :nap  :bug_eye.

Sin_Tiger

Poor bugger, glad to hear you made it through and really hope you heal faster than I do these days.

There was a spate of Steamers on ebay a couple of weeks ago and I narrowly missed one myself. There were a couple of sub 40k kahki 98's that looked promising.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ynotbiker

cheers sin am 54 now but the heart of a teenager been looking at 1150 gs but so exspensive want to stick out for steamer need a bike in the shed NOW.

Sin_Tiger

:icon_lol: your not far behind me but you're not going to catch me either. I know that feeling  :icon_sad:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Get well soon, Ynot.

Loads of steamers around. Sure you'll find another.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Quote from: ynotbiker on July 05, 2014, 10:59:38 PM
cheers sin am 54 now but the heart of a teenager been looking at 1150 gs

Don't do it!!!! Hold out for another Triumph. On rarity value alone it is worth it!!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

aeronca

DAMN man, I glad your alright. Suck's about the bike, but the important thing is you came out of it.  :icon_salut:
I agree with nickjtc, hold on and you will find another steamer.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

ynotbiker

Good news today I think. The insurance company has offered me £1500 pluse the bike. The bike is a category B. They lady reckons it can be repaired but not sold on , not that I want to.So it looks like Ill be looking for parts now.It will deffinately be forks but I will have to put my eyes on the bike to see what else. Don't know much about category B so hope the frames not bent ??. So im quite happy today just sick of trying to get dressed with one arm. :wheel :wheel :wheel

ynotbiker

Me again , well im the new owner of a nice red 93 steamer. Its only got 7000 genuine miles on. I know the carbs have all been sorted with it standing a while. Is there much difference in my old 97 and this 93 model?i know the swing arm is silver on the 93 , is there much else different? the tyres are Michelin radial t66x. Are these the originals? If they are they could be dangerous after being on the bike all these years so I will be after a change. is the spragg clutch easier to get to on a 93 incase it goes titsup.There is a good motobatt battery fitted so nice and strong power. Any info would be much appreciated. You never know I might make the Scotland meet if my body heals in time. I drove the car today so fingers crossed.

Mustang

93 had the cover over the sprag clutch
same basic bike as the 97 , only changes were small bits here and there
ordering parts will be dependent on engine serial # as changes were made to little things through out the engine and bike
ie the drive for the alternator changed , etc. etc .

T66's with 7 k miles are just about guaranteed to be the original 21 year old tires ....................... :bug_eye

even if they have been replaced they are still old as michelin hasn't made that tire in several years

nickjtc

Quote from: ynotbiker on July 07, 2014, 08:03:46 PM
the tyres are Michelin radial t66x. Are these the originals?

Look for 'DOT' on one or the other sidewall of the tyres. Just to the right there will be what looks like a moulded in plate which may only have four numbers in it, or a bunch of letters follwed by four numbers.

The four numbers (eg 2907) represent the week the tyre was made (in this case: week 29) follwed by the year (in this case: 2007). On your bike there may only be three numbers (eg 453) which works the came way, but only the last digit is the year; in this case week 45 of 1993.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Spongy rubber brake hoses?

rf9rider

Bad luck on the crash, hope the new one is more lucky for you.

:worthless

ynotbiker

Quote from: rf9rider on July 08, 2014, 01:48:41 AM
Bad luck on the crash, hope the new one is more lucky for you.

:worthless
bike on way to me this week its still showing on biketrader  :thumbsup