News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is a Tiger Meet USA 201x7 worth doing?

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 13, 2014, 09:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: blacktiger on July 27, 2015, 10:02:22 AMSo personally I don't really want a guided tour.

Still being a working stiff I'm not sure I would be able to do all of the riding, apart from pointing you in the right direction! You're all grown ups, though and I'm sure that you can read a map.  :icon_wink: Although I do have the odd few favourite roads........... :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

blacktiger

Quote from: nickjtc on July 27, 2015, 04:06:12 PM
Although I do have the odd few favourite roads

That's the sort of info we'd want to know.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Spud

Spoke to a guy called Chris from "Unchained tours" he is happy to fill his containers with "Tigers" he would be looking at around the 2k mark for a return trip that is shipping and all paper work basically you just fly in and pick your bike up you do not need to be doing a tour of his.

He suggested Santa Rosa

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

blacktiger

Quote from: Spud on July 28, 2015, 10:21:57 AM
Spoke to a guy called Chris from "Unchained tours" he is happy to fill his containers with "Tigers" he would be looking at around the 2k mark for a return trip that is shipping and all paper work basically you just fly in and pick your bike up you do not need to be doing a tour of his.

He suggested Santa Rosa

I like the Canadian Airways price better.

What's so special in Santa Rosa? Just a city north of San Fran. I've been through that area and apart from lots of tall trees it's nothing special.

Spud

easy run for the west coast waiting for an email with more info on it

blacktiger

Quote from: Spud on July 28, 2015, 12:17:19 PM
easy run for the west coast waiting for an email with more info on it

If you want the west coast just stay on the west coast. :^_^ It's not short of accomodation. https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/california/coastal-highway-1/hotels Although having said that it'd be wise to stay away from the hot spots at weekends because the Yanks will be filling them up.

However, IMO the best riding over that way is inland running through the lumpy bits. Like hwy96:- https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/40.9607315,-123.6427529/Randolf+Collier+Safety+Roadside+Rest+Area,+CA-96,+Hornbrook,+CA+96044/@41.3752788,-123.2499916,9z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x54ce515f693749e7:0x6c99fa19f6858e89!2m2!1d-122.5713183!2d41.8513025?hl=en

Which I rode in 2007. Absolutely great fun and so little traffic.

Also Hwy25 south of San Fran and dirt to be ridden https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/36.4065147,-120.9924753/36.5912857,-120.8301948/@36.563853,-120.8600639,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!5i2?hl=en

I rode that in 2007 as well.

Spud

Hi John

Further to our telephone conversation of yesterday, please find some details of shipping to the USA as requested:

Next year, we will be shipping bikes into our normal destination of Santa Rosa California which is a perfect place to start and finish every trip. We will be running a 3 week trip from here and I have attached an itinerary in case you are interested in joining us on this trip.

However, if you just want me to ship your bikes and sort your own route, that's fine and I can help you with routing etc.

I have programmed the bikes to be unloaded in Santa Rosa on Thursday 12th August and will be reloaded on Tuesday 7th September 2016.

We load the bikes in Pershore, Worcester and they are loaded on a secure 40ft container. Each bike is fixed in individual wheel chocks which are bolted to the floor. You can carry all your kit in the container with the bike but we limit this to your panniers and one large bag. Anything you don't need to carry on your trip i.e your big bag can be left at Santa Rosa.

The bikes are unloaded at Santa Rosa BMW/Triumph and you simply fly in and your bike will be waiting for you. For the return, you leave the bike there and we load it and send it home. There are excellent bus connections from San Francisco International Airport. We have an excellent relationship with this dealer and he is on hand if we have any issues.

I personally load and unload the bikes so am in full control from start to finish.

The cost per bike is £1950.00 which includes loading/unloading and all the customs paperwork. There will be a voluntary extra charge for full marine insurance which I strongly recommend you take out. The cost varies depending on the value of bike but it's normally around £80.00 per bike.

There will be an extra charge of £250.00 per person if you wanted to join us on our trip. On these trips, I organise the route, motels, lead the trip etc and you pay for everything as you go so you can just sit back and enjoy the route knowing you have a brilliant route ahead of you and your accommodation is booked at the end of the day. I don't expect everyone to follow me on these trips and encourage people to ride their own day if they want to. It always makes for good stories at the end of the day.

I trust this information is of interest and please let me know if you need any more details at this time.

Best Regards

Chris Biltcliffe
www.unchainedtours.com

Cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Spud

Moab
and
Canyons
Day
Date
Route
Finish
Mileage
Saturday
14th
August
Collect
Bikes
and
local
ride.
Santa
Rosa
Sunday
15th
August
PCH
Hwy
Giant
Redwoods
Eureka
Monday
16th
August
Via
Mad
River
Crater
Lake
Tuesday
17th
August
Crater
Lake
Reno
Wednesday
18th
August
Lost
Highway
Ely
Thursday
19th
August
Bonneville
Salt
Flats
Salt
Lake
City
Friday
20th
August
Hwy
Moab
Saturday
21st
August
Exploring
Moab
Moab
Sunday
22nd
August
Exploring
Moab
Moab
Monday
23rd
August
l41
through
Telluride
Silverton
Tuesday
24th
August
Million
Dollar
Hwy
Monument
Valley
Mexican
Hat
Wednesday
25th
August
Moki
Dugway
To
Bryce
Bryce
Thursday
26th
August
Northern
Rim
Grand
Canyon
Kanab
Friday
27th
August
Zion
National
Park
Hurricane
Saturday
28th
August
Hoover
dam
Lake
Mead
Boulder
City
Sunday
29th
August
Death
Valley
Lone
Pine
Monday
30th
August
Bodie
Lee
Vining
Tuesday
31st
August
Yosemite
Oakhurst
Wednesday
1st
September
Sequoia
and
Kings
Canyon
Rivers
Thursday
2nd
September
Hwy
and
Carmel
Byway
Monterey
Friday
3rd
September
Skyline
and
Golden
gate
Santa
Rosa
Saturday
4th
September
Drop
bike
and
fly
home
www.unchainedtours.com

nickjtc

Good work, Spud. Apart from the long scroll down!

I have ridden most of those roads and concur that the trip would be one to remember. You've hit all the high spots (and low, in Death Valley  :qgaraduate). Personally I would not spend any more time in Yosemite than is necessary because of the four wheel tourists, but otherwise A+++  :icon_salut:

I would certainly make the effort to ride down and join in at least for part of the loop.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

blacktiger

Quote from: Spud on July 29, 2015, 02:04:53 PM
Moab
and
Canyons
www.unchainedtours.com

Well if I read that right  :icon_scratch: :^_^ :bug_eye I've already done all that. It's a good tour though and covers a lot of what you need to be seeing. I will add that when they say "Byway" they don't mean a green lane like over here. :icon_rolleyes:

mat-tiger1

Quote from: blacktiger on July 20, 2015, 06:12:34 PM
I don't mind meeting somewhere BUT I don't have any weekends available this side of the end of October. The only thing I can suggest is meeting at the NEC show which this year runs from Nov 28th to Dec 6th. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/january/motorcycle-live-2015-dates-change/
I can get there on either Saturday 28th or Sunday 29th. Obviously that's a long way from SinTiger.

Hi Guys  :wave

Any Takers for a meet here to discuss a USA trip?  :wheel

If so, what day?  :^_^

All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

blacktiger

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on August 03, 2015, 06:03:06 PM
Hi Guys  :wave

Any Takers for a meet here to discuss a USA trip?  :wheel

If so, what day?  :^_^

As I wrote before Sat 28th or Sun 29th for me.

mat-tiger1

No problems with either of those dates here BT.  :thumbsup

Have you got your PC on Spud?  :wave Did your contacts give you any ideas about what sort of notice they would need to organize shipping?   :icon_scratch:
I mean do they send & receive containers weekly / monthly?

I'm just thinking possible 'cut off' dates for when we meet up. Talking of dates, had we narrowed any prospective trip down to a possible month as yet or is it still TBA?  :icon_confused: Is it cheaper to ship at certain times?

I bumped into Roddy from Motofrieght ( www.motofrieght.com ) when i was down Jack Lilley's the other week & he said that he'd spoken to one our Tigertriple guys about a USA trip (guessing it was you Spud?) & he suggested a group meeting where either he or one of his shipping organizers could attend & answer any questions we might have.

Would you guys be up for that if we get an idea of when we might want to go? Perhaps we could arrange it to co-inside whith the bike show? (I'm guessing they'll be exhibiting?)  :^_^
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Sin_Tiger

If I'm in the UK and free I will make so.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Since starting this the management has started making plans to visit our friends in Australia next year.  I can't fund both so this will have to be held over fro another time.   :icon_cry:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...