News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Opinions!!

Started by Chris Canning, September 23, 2014, 04:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Here's an odd u'n my Tiger over the years(nearly 40,000 miles) has run like a good'un last year in Spain didn't run all that well in towns(in fact it's never been very good) when hot and I put that down to a Reg/Rec start from cold runs perfect will settle down within a couple of minutes and tick over at 1200 revs out on the open road runs better than ever in fact coming back from Portsmouth last night beat the record 169 miles in an hour and 50 minutes but ride into a town/village and the moment the temp gauge starts to rise the tick over is all over the place??.

Just gone into the garage started bang on the button and ticked over without a care in the world!!!

Bixxer Bob

Chris,  when it's cold the ECU uses a table that is the equivalent of using a choke on a carburettor.  Depending on the temp of the engine it enrichens the mixture over the whole rev range, gradually reducing the amount as the engine warms until it reaches normal temperature.  More importantly, it can't go into closed loop until it reaches working temperature.  Once it's hot, closed loop starts to work and that uses the IACV to control the tickover, except that  - as we all  know - the IACV isn't very good at it, hence your crappy tickover once it's warm.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rf9rider

No electronics expert, but is there a way to "fool" the ECU into thinking the bike is running cool, eliminating the running rough problem?

Chris Canning

Cheers B

The annoying part I have to ride bloody miles to replicate it!! but there's all sorts of bits and bobs that need sorting so it'll go on the list what's the retail on an IACV.

metalguru

Would be inclined to set the fan temp down to 94C and idle speed at +94C to 1250 rpm. 
Makes things more comfy for rider and bike around town as rider only gets roasted by 94C instead of 104C
Clean and lube IACV or selftest.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

iansoady

Quote from: rf9rider on September 24, 2014, 01:38:32 AM
No electronics expert, but is there a way to "fool" the ECU into thinking the bike is running cool, eliminating the running rough problem?

Probably not*, although there is a way to stop it going into closed loop.

*and it would probably screw up the fuelling elsewhere.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

I've been that route with my XT660 and there's an option for the K1200 as well and in all honesty it's a bodge,over the years within reason I've been happy the way it's run and blimey it's had a hard life travelling Europe in a lot of heat so I'll put a new IACV on and see how we go,as I said in the other post there's allsorts of bits and bobs need doing over the winter and regardless of if I/we buy a replacement the Tiger won't be going anywhere my wife has already informed me of that  :icon_wink:

Bixxer Bob

IACV is about £70 if I remember rightly Chris;  I don't think you need one so it would be interesting to see if it helps.   :thumbsup

Edit:  While you're in there, think about doing an air leak check on the IACV pipes, the IACV gasket and the throttle body gasket.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Bought the lot including the pipes I've had my monies worth out of it and I'm not pissing about trying to save a couple of quid.

Come to think of it tick over went down hill when I binned in NI a couple of years ago but as I rarely use the bike in the UK and mostly on the open road it's not like a major issue just a pain in the ass!!.

Chris Canning

Parts turned up today the Stepper motor has seen better days that's for sure  :icon_scratch:

Chris Canning

Blimey come to try the new stepper motor for fit spot on the old one is a like a spoon in a tea cup by comparison.

Chris Canning

Despite mine running great from cold put a carb tune on and 3 is out of sync drop it to 1 and 2 and it won't tick over,1 is too low that tick over screw looks well locktited to me  :icon_wink: any used anything else apart from a short allen key.

John Stenhouse

That sounds as though it's trimmed itself to the old stepper.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on September 30, 2014, 11:19:29 PM
Despite mine running great from cold put a carb tune on and 3 is out of sync drop it to 1 and 2 and it won't tick over,1 is too low that tick over screw looks well locktited to me  :icon_wink: any used anything else apart from a short allen key.

The original adjuster screws are Phillips so if you have allen bolts someone made a sensible upgrade. 

Need something like this maybe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bondhus-Hexagon-Hex-Allen-Key-T-Handle-XL-300mm-12-Extra-Long-3mm-4mm-5mm-8mm-/400474572403?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&var=&hash=item5d3e250673

Chris Canning

I'm on about THE tickover adjuster their's only one for the lot,as I said in the other post 1 is too low,John may have a point but it's an interesting learning curve,but having had 13 years of good running I've a feeling that this is the slippery slope.

If I drop 2/3 down to 1 it won't tick over