News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Idiot drivers in fog

Started by Geoff W, October 12, 2014, 05:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff W

I set off to work in Northallerton yesterday morning, it was quite dense fog around here visibility 50- 200 meters. I know the road well. I was behind a slow Mercedes which had no lights on, so I flashed him and pulled out to pass him on straight part of road. As I was level with the car I saw another car coming straight towards me, looming out of the fog was a grey car with no lights on heading straight for me. It was only a few meters from me, I had no where to go so I tried to make myself as small as possible and squeeze alongside the Mercedes, the oncoming car hit the toe of my boot with what I assume was the wrap- around part of his front spoiler, or wheel-arch, his door mirror hit my front fairing and removed the orange glass from my indicator.
Remarkably my steamer did not blink or wobble, she just kept going in a straight line, I was so happy to be alive that I did not bother to stop until I found a layby a mile or so down the road. I checked over the steamer, cracked front right fairing and a small hole, indicator glass gone, bent footrest and back brake lever, and a sore foot.
I have straightened out the bent bits as best I can, replaced the indicator glass, and will try to find a front right fairing. I have two bruised toes, I may loose a toe nail or two, but that is all.
I can strongly recommend Alt-Berg Roadrunner boots, the right one took a glancing blow at probably 90 to 100 mph ( I was doing 50-60mph, the car was probably doing the same) and all I have is some very dark bruising. The boot is unmarked!
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Sin_Tiger

Gawd I'm so goad to hear you survived that with relatively little damage . Hope it hasn't put you off riding, if it does, can I have first shout for your boots  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

See it every day Geoff. I drive for a living. Its frightening the number of assholes on our roads!! Pissing down rain,fog,drivers on the outside lane of motorways..no lights! Police have the powers to book them for 'driving without due care and attention'. Do they?? :nono
95 Super111
96 Tiger

motoOzarks

....and who would be the idiot in the fog?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Nick Calne

Oh dear! Glad you are OK, well OK-ish!

Every time this sort of thing happens it is a reminder that we are the vulnerable ones, and the ones who must compensate for the actions of idiots.  Trust no-one, least of all people going slowly in German cars.  That's not what German cars are for, it was clearly a trap!

Remind me what colour your steamer is Geoff and I'll see if I have a spare fairing in the loft.  I'm sure there are some spare footrests floating around somewhere too.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

KuzzinKenny

Hey Geoff W !! its lucky yer here to tell the tail  :icon_eek:

when i went to buy me Tigger it was foggy and there was a silver car passin me (i was in my car) thats when i decided not to get a silver Tigger as they blend into the fog, so i got the orange one  :icon_lol:

i'd get a ticket for the euromillions on tuesday, its worth £111 million  :nod

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

iansoady

But hang on a minute - didn't you pass the other car when you couldn't see that it was clear enough to get back in front? It seems a bit rich to blame the other driver who according to your account was on his correct side of the road and going no faster than you were. Lights on the car would probably have made little difference. If you only saw it when it was "a few metres away" then visibility was hardly your quoted 50 - 200 metres.

Glad there were no serious consequences though.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

The on coming car had no lights on either Ian.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

Yes I did see that. But a pedestrian / horse / cyclist / pile of bricks / anything else wouldn't have done either. I'm not saying the car driver was completely blameless but it's all too easy to suggest that "the other idiot" is always at fault especially when it is we motorcyclists who tend to come off worst in any encounter.

An interesting little quote I came across recently was something along the lines of "don't look for reasons to make the overtake - look for reasons not to".
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

nickjtc

Quote from: iansoady on October 14, 2014, 12:48:00 PM
"don't look for reasons to make the overtake - look for reasons not to".

+1
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Geoff W

Thanks for the offer Nick, Mine is Pimento Red. If you happen to have the piece in your attic next to your portrait of eternal youth, I will be very grateful.
I will be down in Bath for a beery weekend watching The Falcons get stuffed by Bath Rugby in mid November if you have any bits , I can collect them then. If you want a ticket to watch Bath let me know soon as I am getting away tickets for myself and a friend from Yeovil, I will be happy to get you a ticket.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Nick Calne

I shall take a peak into the loft on Saturday and see what I can dig out!

Nick Calne

Hi Geoff

Fairings -  It's not pimento, but I have a spare right one. (It is red though, just volcanic red ... I think)
Footrest - Yup, have a right side one spare
Indicators & Back Brake - My spare ones are currently on bike following me falling off like a girl in Scotland. So no luck there.

Thought about the kind offer of a ticket for the rugby and sadly I'll have to decline.  I would love to go but I'm launching two new companies this month and the likelihood of being able to honour such a commitment is, I'm afraid, utterly remote! 

PM me and let me know what you would like me to send you.

N

The Midnight Rambler

Its not who's right. Its who's left.
Hope you get the bits. stay safe.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

Geoff W

Thanks for the kind thoughts. All I have to show is a couple of bruised toes. They will repair, so will the bike.What impressed me the most was the way the steamer didn't even blink or flinch, she just carried on straight ahead. That and the brilliant quality of the Alt- Berg Roadrunner boots, not a mark on them. I went on the same road to work today , the low sun is becoming a problem, time for a new visor I think.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.