News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Since it's in bits anyway....

Started by Bixxer Bob, November 30, 2014, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I decided to do some deep cleaning and remedial work.  Started with removing the crash bars; I'm going to weld brackets onto them for the driving lamps and the air horn then they are going off to the powder coaters.

while that's going on the carrier and rear cowl is coming off, everything properly cleaned and re-assembled.  THe power supply to the LED lamps in the Givi top box haven't worked for some time so fixing that is on the list, then the scrolling text display under the carrier also needs fixing. 

The rear brake will receive attention and a good clean, although it should be ok because I did it when I got back from France.   The rubber boot over the brake switch needs changing too.  Then it's on to the engine area - another good clean and tidy up and I think I'll replace all the rusty fasteners all over the bike with stainless steel allen screws. 

Then it'll be cowl off, good clean and fix anything that looks iffy including adjusting the lights which are all over the place at the moment.  Front forks seem ok but could probably do with an oil change.

Lots to do.... :icon_biggrin:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

chairhead

Like you say mate, since its in bits then there's no time like the present, I always look forward to the sense of satisfaction I get when its all back to how it should be.............but with shiny bits added  :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Sin_Tiger

Stainless Steel slider pins for the brake calipers are a good investment. Give Trevor a call because they aren't on the website catalogue. I like to use graphite based grease inside the boots, it's waterproof and doesn't harden up as quickly as other types. I use Land Rover Classic steering swivel grease if you can still get it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Now't wrong with looking after your tiger I've done more than most trying find a replacement we still have ours because we can't find anything better as opposed to not being able to afford a new bike I detest the Dora with a passion and the 800 is as much use as a hole in the head to us the Sport would be a doable if all else failed the current Multi was too cramped but the new 015 has had a lot of changes it looks the same but it ain't and I'll reserve judgement on that till I've ridden one and the BM XR!!! blimey it's like sitting on a chopper high bars low bum  :icon_scratch:

This years NEC show showed!!! Triumph are either behind the game or lost the plot

Look after your Tigers they may have to last a long time  :icon_wink:

iansoady

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 01, 2014, 12:24:35 AM
I like to use graphite based grease inside the boots, it's waterproof and doesn't harden up as quickly as other types.

I'd have thought, being mineral-based, it would rot the boot and certainly wouldn't do the seals any good if it got on them.......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Last one I bought I got change out of 2 quid so not really important what you put on them  :icon_wink:

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 01, 2014, 12:24:35 AM
Stainless Steel slider pins for the brake calipers are a good investment. Give Trevor a call because they aren't on the website catalogue. I like to use graphite based grease inside the boots, it's waterproof and doesn't harden up as quickly as other types. I use Land Rover Classic steering swivel grease if you can still get it.

I can't recall ever greasing inside the brake switch boot  :icon_scratch:   And who's Trevor?

As for rotting the seals, are CV boots not rubber???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

All replacement bits and bobs are available at http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/index.asp espesh the caliper boots that you cant get from Triumph :icon_scratch: Brake switch cover is on the site somewhere  :^_^
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

Trevor at Sprint Engineering. Been using it for years on the Landies, not had a problem with either seals or boots Ian, wish you hadn't said that,  I'll have to go and check the specs (OC).
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

Tried an experiment a few years ago on the 955.
Where the rubber boots go through the rear caliper, the casting tends to corrode and tighten the boot to the sliding pin, thus binding the brake.
Tried various greases, lubes etc but still the problem persisted especially in the winter.
One cure would have been to measure the thickness of powdercoat and relieve the hole in the caliper by the same amount.
The next cure is by far the easiest to execute and the cheapest/quickest.
Remove all sliding pin rubbers and clean corrosion from housing.
Clean rubber/nitrile bushes and reinstall but first coat in ACF50.
I also experimented with keeping the brake piston in a moveable condition, again this was achieved by at the time replacing piston and seals but again coating in ACF50.
The results of this long term test have been very positive and I have included the use of ACF50 on all the service work on my own and others bikes with excellent results.
As for economy, a very small amount of the stuff goes a very long way, good job too as it's expensive, have used on electrical connections with no degradation.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

HockleyBoy

Like the idea of using ACF50, havent tried it but as I suffer from sticking calipers, pistons etc every winter I am willing to give anything a go.

It will be interesting to see how much difference it makes for me as I spend a lot of time stripping, cleaning and rebuilding brakes. Anything that extends the interval would be great.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

:iagree ACF50 is good stuff and a little does go a long way thankfully. Use it in my locks once a month and before lay up.

aesdj

Bixxer i hope your not trying to take my mantle as the biggest nerdie bike cleaner on here  :ImaPoser

Bixxer Bob

No, and although you're good, Chris Canning takes top step. :bad

Just going (eventually) to give it a bit of a cleanup.  Crash bars are now at the powder coaters so have made a start.....