News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve clearances - loose or tight??

Started by raven955i, April 16, 2005, 05:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raven955i

Alright fella's,  here is one for the masses.  I'm doing my 24k mile service on my 01 tiger (955i engine).  I also did the 12k service.  My question is valve clearances.  I adjusted them at 12k to be in the middle.  Now I find that at 24k - Exh #1 left and right are just out of spec. (0.207).  Also Int #3 left only is out of spec. (0.157).  All others are nice and comfy.  

It would seem to me that I have a history of them loosening up.  

Should I adjust the Exh #1 and Int #3 to the tight side?

See the following: This is for the Exh. #1

1L   2.700   0.17

1R   2.755   0.17

OR:

1L   2.720   0.15

1R   2.775   0.15

Keeping in mind that shims only come in .25 increments (2.70,2.725,2.750, etc.)

I do have some old shims.  But, of course, none are odd sizes.

The reason for my boggle is somewhere I read that the engines tend to tighten up.  But mine are loosening it would seem.

What do y'all think?

Len
Establish priorities, when your up to your ass in alligators first thing to do is drain the swamp.

Sasquatch

I always err on the side of loose when adjusting my valves.  At 11k miles my '01 955i had ALL of her intake valves at negative clearance.  They were not closing all the way.

Loose valves make noise.

Tight valves burn and make the motor run/start like crap

I choose the loose side.

raven955i

I went ahead and ordered shims to be on the loose side.  Thanks for the reply.

Always beware of an engine that runs TOO quiet!
Establish priorities, when your up to your ass in alligators first thing to do is drain the swamp.