News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1997 Steamer. Starter won't turn, engine locked. HELP !

Started by Danwarb, May 10, 2015, 03:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Quote from: Danwarb on May 12, 2015, 11:02:29 AM
Also I emptied the coolant, removed that fat water pipe from the engine block and my God was the water deep green but in the engine block really rusty brown.  :icon_scratch:

Surely the water should be the same colour through out if it's circling?

I'd like to flush the system out properly. Is there a way I can fill it, start it then see the coolant being pumped out of the bike to ensure the pump is working while flushing it all out?

How else can I check the pump is working please guys?

:ear

Any tips for this please guys?
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Mustang

run it with the radiator cap off and when the thermostat opens you should be able to see the coolant in radiator moving .

you will need to have the fuel tank off the bike though so you can see in the rad.

Danwarb

Quote from: Mustang on May 12, 2015, 04:52:15 PM
run it with the radiator cap off and when the thermostat opens you should be able to see the coolant in radiator moving .

you will need to have the fuel tank off the bike though so you can see in the rad.

Brilliant Mustang ! Thank you.
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on May 12, 2015, 11:16:30 AM
Commutator should be smooth as you say; even using emery will leave it rough enough to spark then you get pitting and burning.  I used to skim them on a lathe ( which you can't) but finish them with scotchbright (green pan scourer).  Looking at yours, a spin in your drill and polish with scotchbright should suffice.  When you're happy with it, clean the copper dust out from between the segments carefully.  Don't dig grooves otherwise you'll just accelerate the wear on the new brushes.

I've spun my motors commutators over a file then to finish actually spun the commutators over a clean steel plastering trowel in an attempt to buff the copper contacts. To some degree it's worked.
Maybe I'll keep going a bit more with this tomorrow !
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

That looks pretty good, doing any more will just remove a lot of copper unnecessarily.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 13, 2015, 08:35:02 AM
That looks pretty good, doing any more will just remove a lot of copper unnecessarily.

Hi Sin,

Yes absolutely I'm with you how ever I couldn't sleep last night thinking about how I might polish these commutators further. The thought of crunching down new brushes in no time drove me nuts !!

This was the process I applied to get to beautifully smooth and polished commutators with out removing much copper.

1) Attach the motor spindle on to a cordless drill.
2) Spin the commutators over a file as lightly as possible to just, just about get the commutators back in shape.
3) Then spin the commutators lightly again over a FINE pumis stone.
4) Then spin the commutators lightly over a flat steel plate such as a plasterers trowel.
5) Then run the back side of a Stanley blade along between the commutators to remove any built up filed away copper and dirt.
6) Finally the best bit ! (I got this idea from watching my barber sharpen razors) Get an old leather belt, lay it along the edge of chopping board, place with commutators flat on the leather then give it a good 3 to 5 minute spin and VOILA !!

Polished, shiny commutators !!! WOHOOOOOoooo !!!

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

DARN IT !!

I've put the reconditioned motor in the bike and it turned ok.

Re-assembled the rest of the bike then went to start it.
First time it turned over 6 times then stopped, second time twice then third time once before the stater didn't turn over any more.

Could it be the battery drained flat over 2 days while connected?

Could it be the sprag clutch? Is that a symptom?

:icon_scratch:
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Mustang

did you check the windings on the motor armature ?

ram33

sprag problem usually makes a loud clunking noise like a hammer hitting the crankcase
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

JayDub

I would tend to listen to Sin regarding the battery, (he knows a thing or two in that department  :icon_wink:) a 20 min charge wouldn't help a great deal, charge it overnight - regardless of the claims of the manufacturer.  :nod

threepot

I'd take the thermostat out to flush,it could be stuck closed as Ian says?? Its in the pipe that fits to the top of radiator. Did you crank engine over with plugs out? Is your other battery totally caput? Worth charging,and trying that?

On Mottobat batteries...I was told by someone who works for a well known retailer,that they have lot's of this brand returned!! Thats why I bought a Yuasa!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Danwarb

Quote from: threepot on May 13, 2015, 11:44:27 PM
I'd take the thermostat out to flush,it could be stuck closed as Ian says?? Its in the pipe that fits to the top of radiator. Did you crank engine over with plugs out? Is your other battery totally caput? Worth charging,and trying that?

On Mottobat batteries...I was told by someone who works for a well known retailer,that they have lot's of this brand returned!! Thats why I bought a Yuasa!

BANG ON Mr Threepot !!

It was a dud MOTOBATT !! I fitted my previous battery, it took a few turn to suck in petrol then she started YES YES YES !! I took her for a spin and the exeleration was SO much better than before ! PLENTY OF POWER !! Wohooooo !!

So my starter motor refurb worked out a treat AND not one drop of petrol from the carbs so I've sorted those out as well.

Thanks so much to all of you. I couldn't have done it with out you.

My next challenge was that when I'd power down the revs would drop so low the engine kept cutting out. I guess I need to adjust the throttle cable setting at the carb end right?

:notworthy
Black 1995 Tiger 885

nickjtc

Good for you; SOOO nice when spending a few hours/days making love (aka fettling) to our machines produces positive results.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

Nice one :thumbsup No excuse for not joining us in July now eh?? :augie
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ram33

Quote from: Danwarb on May 14, 2015, 02:16:31 AM

My next challenge was that when I'd power down the revs would drop so low the engine kept cutting out. I guess I need to adjust the throttle cable setting at the carb end right?

:notworthy
the throttle cable is not for setting the tickover and it should have a bit of free play (so you can turn bars without it reving up) the tickover is set with the knob o the side. if it ticks over ok when standing but drops when you close throttle when riding, make sure the carbs are balanced. if so then i would look adusting the mixture screws slightly
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque