News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coil conversion

Started by threepot, September 04, 2015, 09:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Decided to try it after having a few issues with the bike recently. It runs fine 95% of the time,but recently I can feel it 'bogging' down. The coils,which are off my Super3,are PVL's. But the Super3 does run a lot hotter than tigger,so maybe that extra heat has taken it's toll over the 20yrs they've been on?These are Denso sticks,off a 600. I bought a connection kit off eBay to connect to the tops. Hope to try them tomorrow.  :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ram33

is the connection kit a pre made kit? or a loom you made using connectors from other triumphs?
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

threepot

Well,so far..so good! Bike runs ok. Seems to fire up quicker. Someone on the HTOC forum questioned the ohm rating,stating it could knacker the Ecu? But apparently their the same as stock.
0.8 primary
10.5 secondary.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Shouldn't make any difference then, can't generate more load without more impedance.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

:thumbsup Mark

I've looked back, I fitted mine in the winter 2010/2011 and never had any problems with coils/ecu since.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

threepot

Quote from: GavD on September 07, 2015, 04:28:57 PM
:thumbsup Mark

I've looked back, I fitted mine in the winter 2010/2011 and never had any problems with coils/ecu since.
Gav, top coil is the one I had from you. Can you remember what bike it was off. The rubber sealing grommet is slightly larger than the other two. Its a perfect fit in the camcover!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

It's off a TT600, it fits perfectly because I 'borrowed' some heatshrink tubing from work and shrunk a few layers down until it was a snug fit in the spark plug tube.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Shrink-Tubing-20-mm-8-pcs-Black-HeatShrink-Tube-Sleeving-/190548034954?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Something like this should do it. Just measure up the coils first to check.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on September 07, 2015, 08:19:51 PM
Gav, top coil is the one I had from you. Can you remember what bike it was off. The rubber sealing grommet is slightly larger than the other two. Its a perfect fit in the camcover!
Whilst researching this mod myself, I found out that the stick coils from a pre 2000 tt600 are the best for fit, and the most commonly used... try finding some tough!