News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1995 Steamer Difficult to start

Started by DOM, April 03, 2016, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DOM

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, so hope you don't mind me starting with a request for advice!!!

I have recently bought a 1995 Tiger steamer, but am having difficulty under cold starting.  I bought it from a friend who got fed up trying to solve the issue, but have tried everything I can think of - and it is still being a pain.

Once warm, it'll start nicely and runs like a dream.  It can cool down quite a lot and still start well, but if not run overnight, for example, it just doesn't want to go.  It'll flatten the Motobatt battery (which is otherwise good) before starting, but if I attach jump leads from my car, it will, after a lot of turning over start and then run really well.

My mate who I bought it off had replaced the crank position sensor, and after a load of reading I've also checked the rubbers that sit between the carb and the block.  It seems to have a good spark, and the carbs have been off and cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I just can't think of what to be checking next.  If it were always a bad starter, or ran badly once warmed up I might be thinking about different things.  But it is just while starting cold.

Has anyone had the same issues, or can anyone suggest something that might cause this??

If anyone needs any further info, I'll happily answer anything I can.  I'm hoping that someone may be able to point me in a new direction, as I'm floundering now!!

Many thanks in advance,
Dom

GavD

:ww

Sounds a bit like valve clearances, easy to check, not so easy to change shims.

Get it sorted and meet us all in the Pennines first weekend in July for the annual meet?
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

:ww :iagree with Gav... possibly also incorrect plugs,or fuel/air mixture too weak, has the airbox or any part of the intake system been 'customised'

Sin_Tiger

:iagree if you haven't been warned already, make sure you don't try to start it with a low battery to avoid damaging the starter sprag clutch.

What mileage, is there any record of when the valve clearances were last checked / adjusted?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

DOM

Heyyy, thanks for the quick reply chaps.

Not too sure when the shims were last done, but it wasn't something that I had thought of, so thanks very much for that.  I'll ask the bloke I bought it off whether he'd had them checked or done.

It's done 42k miles, and I think was laid up for a long time before the previous owner bought it, and he did quite a lot of work to bring it back to regular usage.  He did quite a lot of miles on it without it missing a beat, and then it started being a pain, and I think has got worse and worse.

Funny thing about the air box, but it's been cut diagonally at the back so that it can be taken off easier i.e. one half comes off from one side and the other side comes out of the other - I was lead to believe that this was a 'common' mod to make servicing easier.  Is this a possible cause of problems?? 

'The Pennines' sounds pretty local to me - given that I live up in 'em, so I'll have a search around to see what's going on.  It'd be good to get to know a few people.  I still knock around with some great guys from the old T595.net forum, so am pretty enthusiastic about Triumphs generally.

Thanks again - See you soon.

threepot

I've recently done that mod to my airbox. And my bike starts exactly the way as before! I'm still 'on the fence' about doing it,but so far it seems ok? It certainly makes things a lot easier working on it!!
Good opportunity for you to check the shims,and 'bond' with your bike :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

It's sounding more and more like valve clearances from your description. The split air box cover shouldn't be an issue at all (certainly not for cold start) if it's properly fitted and you've got a good seal at the split.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

DOM

Well what do you know!!!

After finally getting the 'lid' off my motor, it turns out that I can't even get the 0.05 feeler gauge between the shim and the cam on ANY of the inlet valves!  Four of the six exhaust valves are in spec, with two that are just marginally out.

It looks like there's nothing better than knowledge and experience!!  Thank you all very much.

I don't think I fancy having a go at doing the shims myself, so I've spoken with a local bike mechanic who I think is going to do it for me.  I'm certainly hoping to have it all back together and running nicely as the weather gets better.

Thanks again for your advice!

DOM

Just as another point, the mechanic I was speaking with was telling me that he regularly maintains a Steamer that now has 215,000 miles on the clock!!!

The chap who owns it has apparently has to machine his own shims nowadays!!

threepot

Inlets tend to go out of spec  before ex. Ask me..I know! Ive got to change all my inlets on my Super3,after 50k miles. Be interesting to know what size that guy is machining shims to?? You can't go below 2.0,otherwise the cam will contact the bucket?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Timbox2

Quote from: threepot on April 16, 2016, 10:23:18 AM
Inlets tend to go out of spec  before ex. Ask me..I know! Ive got to change all my inlets on my Super3,after 50k miles. Be interesting to know what size that guy is machining shims to?? You can't go below 2.0,otherwise the cam will contact the bucket?

Wonder if anyones tried a lead replacement on these engines?
2016 Tiger Sport

threepot

Think there was an issue with 'soft' valves?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

Quote from: DOM on April 16, 2016, 09:45:57 AM
Just as another point, the mechanic I was speaking with was telling me that he regularly maintains a Steamer that now has 215,000 miles on the clock!!!

Holy  :Topes, mines only just run in then at 42,000!!
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S