News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Change mileage on speedometer

Started by ghulst, November 21, 2015, 12:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

When it happened on mine it was the drive 'gearbox' in the front hub that had messed up. The cable was fine.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

Sin_Tiger

Absolutely no reaction or sporadic or very very low?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

Most likely on the drive side, speedo gear wear normally gives some indication before it goes totally.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Had this onmy old Yamaha once, it was just the square drive on the cable inner not quite pushing home in the speedo.  Also had it once on an old Suzuki trail bike, the cable had sheared just behind the square drive.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ghulst

Ok, went to take a look at it tonight. Did it the only way I know how... By disassembling way to much of the front of the bike. Anyway, the cable was in the speedo and the top had not broken off. So, to determine how the underside was fairing, I wanted to pull the cable out of the drive. However, in complete stupidity, I decided that taking the wheel out would probably be easier than removing the fender. Oh well, lessons learned and all that. It is a terrible ordeal to put the disks back into the brake calipers when the bike is standing on the ground.

Anyway, when I had the cable out, I could turn the bottom end of the cable without the top end rotating. I also tested the drive and that worked fine. Problem solved. Now I just need to order the part. ;)

Sin_Tiger

Every day is a day at school  :qgaraduate

On the positive side, nothing serious or expensive  :thumbsup

ghulst

Nope, I was surprised at how cheap a new cable is. Only €11 including postage. That's a nice change. :)

JayDub

Make sure that you got the drive ring tabs located in the drive slots.... It's easy to mis-align them  :icon_redface:

ghulst

Thanks. I have. I actually pulled the whole assembly out to rotate it by hand and to check if it worked. Just wanted to make sure. ;)