News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Top End due to oil usage.

Started by Sparky, December 06, 2015, 02:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: Sparky on December 08, 2015, 06:20:36 AM
you can see the damage to the piston and head on #3 cylinder due to lack of a spark plug electrode.

Yup. The little blighter must have danced a jig in there for quite a few revolutions before getting spat out!!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

BruKen

<no popcorn smilie> Following with interest.

Question : You are low on pressure on two of the three cylinders. No3 can be explained, certainly w.r.t damage caused by electrode, but that doesn't explain the second cylinder's low pressure. Certainly damaged was caused in No3 but that being the cause of the low compression is debatable at this point and doesn't fully explain the oil loss imo as the rings haven't broken. Can you show pics of the barrels interior. It would be interesting to see if your "dieseling" moment wasn't actually a mild sieze and you'be rubbed the honings off. Certainly one piston looks like it has sieze damage rather than particulate damage.

Sin_Tiger

Bbbbbrrrrrrr, ting ting ting, Bbbbbrrr. I think you found what happened  :nod Hope the valves survived, piston looks useable, how do the liners look?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BruKen

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 08, 2015, 03:27:02 PM
, piston looks useable,

:bug_eye I'd measure it up. It has some lateral wear patterns that look decidedly iffy to me. I really suspect a mild seize being the root cause of the OP's original concern.

JoeDirt

Quote from: BruKen on December 08, 2015, 04:46:49 PM
:bug_eye I'd measure it up. It has some lateral wear patterns that look decidedly iffy to me. I really suspect a mild seize being the root cause of the OP's original concern.

I'm with BruKen on this one. I would make sure all of your wear surfaces were all in service limits.

BruKen

Sin, the OP has posted high res pics that the board has downsized. Click on the piston pic. Notice the wear pattern is much more than a mild scuffing. Oil retaining hone / hatch marks are absent and the ali looks as if it has mild friction rubbing deformities where the ali has been pulled, rather than particulate scratchings. (more obvious on the edges of the wear near the gudgeon pin) If this is mirrored on the barrels then I'd stake money on a mild sieze. Next question is to determine why it seized.

When I did YAPI also in the 40k mile mark the hatchings were still very prominent

Sin_Tiger

Fair point, hence my asking about the barrels. I did say 'usable' rather than good, depends what you want to spend. Good point about two cyl rather than just one.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BruKen

<ribbing mode - on>

I think that Scots heritage is coming into play  :ImaPoser Betcha you begrudge changing tyres come MOT when there's 2mm of tread left and you think to yourself - if I had only come in a month earlier I could scraped through with an advisory and ridden those down to the windings before next year's MOT  :icon_wink:  :icon_lol:

Measurements will show. I hope I eat humble pie for OP's sake though. Damn Tiggers can get expensive

Sparky

Quote from: BruKen on December 08, 2015, 12:20:53 PM
<no popcorn smilie> Following with interest.

Question : You are low on pressure on two of the three cylinders. No3 can be explained, certainly w.r.t damage caused by electrode, but that doesn't explain the second cylinder's low pressure. Certainly damaged was caused in No3 but that being the cause of the low compression is debatable at this point and doesn't fully explain the oil loss imo as the rings haven't broken. Can you show pics of the barrels interior. It would be interesting to see if your "dieseling" moment wasn't actually a mild sieze and you'be rubbed the honings off. Certainly one piston looks like it has sieze damage rather than particulate damage.

It might be a light seizure this area of expertise is above my pay grade that's why everything is going to the machine shop.  I'll get some more pics up later tonight.

I have more experience with two stroke seizures which are a lot more spectacular and leave not doubt as to what happened.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

BruKen

now if the steamer were a 2 stroke......  :wheel  :notworthy

Sin_Tiger

They're no worn, they're ma racing tyres pal  :icon_razz: got back from Phucket one trip and the rear looked more like a carpet than a tyre  :icon_redface:

That piston doesn't look quite so good from that angle  :icon_eek:

BruKen

Those be 2 stroke pistons Sin. No oil ring see. He's pulled the wool over your eyes you daft bugga.

Sparky

Yup they are out of a 787cc Rotax engine in a Seadoo PWC.  Typical two stroke zipping along thinking wow this thing is running great today then it went from max rpm to stall in about 5 sec and I knew exactly what happened.  Turned out the rear carb was a little light on the main jet and therefore my wallet was a little lighter after top end #2  :BangHead 

Bixxer Bob

The lack of Hylomar is odd  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

The valve seat land should be 0.5 - 0.75mm when you come to check them.....

Any sign of leakage on the head gasket???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sparky

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 09, 2015, 12:26:47 AM
The lack of Hylomar is odd  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

The valve seat land should be 0.5 - 0.75mm when you come to check them.....

Any sign of leakage on the head gasket???

Lack of Hylomar is not good lack of any sealant at all is worse.  No signs of head gasket leaks the coolant level never went down.