News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Top End due to oil usage.

Started by Sparky, December 06, 2015, 02:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 09, 2015, 11:54:35 PM

:iagree certainly not common on mainstream petrol engines. However, wrong LO, wrong injector pattern, wrong turbo intercooler temp at low load and within 500 hrs of new liner and rings you can go from a LO cons of 25 ltrs per day to over 300 ltrs per day, first hand experience ('twas a bit bigger diesel engine though)  :augie got photos somewhere of the bores looking like the bottom of your Mums Treacle Toffee tray.

Yes, diesel is a bit different. I am loathe to idle mine without load. Soon as I start the boat engines I'm in gear, even if it means dragging the pontoon a bit.

Sparky

Here is report from the machinist.

Cylinder sleeves are within spec, pistons are within spec ring end gap is too big.  With a light hone the piston to cylinder clearance is .004 which he feels is too much problem is everything is in spec and the manual does not give an acceptable piston to cylinder clearance so if anyone knows this or can comment on the .004 number please do.  As a comparison two stokes are set up at .004 to .006 and most new jap four strokes are .001 to .0015 when new.

All of the valve guides are out of spec and the intake valves need replacing, exhaust valves can be reused.  The manual tells you to buy a new head if it needs guides, not happening !  I will make some calls on Monday to see if I can get aftermarket guides and possibly valves I can get the valves from Triumph but they are $$$$.  If anyone knows where I can get replacement guides please let me know.

Stay tuned I'm not done yet.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

95tiger

you can't buy guides for triumph heads
they are installed using a special process triumph uses
only cure is head replacement
your also going to find that new intake valves are not going to last long as the seats have been pounded into the head and you
will run out of adjustment  within a couple thousand miles
search for old jet doxc posts he went thru the same shit , his bike was the same color too !

your only option is to replace the head  :nod

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Sparky on December 13, 2015, 01:52:39 AM

Cylinder sleeves are within spec, pistons are within spec ring end gap is too big.  With a light hone the piston to cylinder clearance is .004 which he feels is too much problem is everything is in spec and the manual does not give an acceptable piston to cylinder clearance so if anyone knows this or can comment on the .004 number please do.  As a comparison two stokes are set up at .004 to .006 and most new jap four strokes are .001 to .0015 when new.

All of the valve guides are out of spec and the intake valves need replacing, exhaust valves can be reused.  The manual tells you to buy a new head if it needs guides, not happening !  I will make some calls on Monday to see if I can get aftermarket guides and possibly valves I can get the valves from Triumph but they are $$$$.  If anyone knows where I can get replacement guides please let me know.

Stay tuned I'm not done yet.

I would be hoping for 0.0025" - 0.0030" @ 20 deg C for this size of bore, so I think he's right. Power Pack (Liner / piston / rings) might be a more economical / lower risk option, not sure about the Triumph packs but they usually come with new gudeon pins and clips (recommended). Don't forget the dealers are clearing NOS at the moment so there are deals to be had.

:iagree about the head guides, they were shrunk in and pushing them out destroys the interference fit. I've no experience of the inserts Ian's suggested but it might be worth investigating if finding a head proves difficult, there are plenty in circulation, whether they're in your area is another  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

BruKen

Quote from: Sparky on December 13, 2015, 01:52:39 AM

Gah! dont do imperial. Metric are such. Sounds like you are in tolerance

Liners 1&3 - 76.03 to 76.05mm
Liner 2 - 76.04 to 76.05 mm

Piston OD (measured 5mm up from skirt at 90 deg to piston pin axis:
Piston Bore 1 & 3 - 75.96 to 75.98 mm
Piston Bore 2 - 75.97 to 75.98 mm

iansoady

Quote from: BruKen on December 14, 2015, 12:36:29 PM
Gah! dont do imperial.

Easy way to remember is that 1mm is near enough .040"
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sparky

I stopped by the machine shop yesterday to check the carnage and the intake valves are so recessed into the head that the valve edge can be used as a pizza cutter and the valve face that meets the head is about 2mm wide.  Sorry forgot to take pics.

I emailed Clive Woods and he recommended Ivan at National Triumph in Wolverhampton for parts.  I'm waiting on some pics from Ivan he said he's got about 10 good 885 heads in stock at 49 pounds plus shipping the price is very reasonable.

Work continues in other areas, forks removed for fresh oil and regrease the steering head bearings bike looks like a prop out of the latest Star Wars movie.

nickjtc

Even totally stripped and naked a Steamer has an aura of purposeful-ness about it.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

Quote from: nickjtc on December 15, 2015, 07:20:50 PM
Even totally stripped and naked a Steamer has an aura of purposeful-ness about it.
yes it does
A PURPOSEFUL PILE O' PARTS

:ImaPoser :ImaPoser :ImaPoser

threepot

Hi Sparky,when you say the valves have recessed into the head,do you mean actual valve wear,or that the valve seats have actually 'sunk' into the head? I think my Super3 has this problem?? 3 intakes on 'negative' clearance last time I checked!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sparky

Quote from: threepot on December 15, 2015, 09:49:28 PM
Hi Sparky,when you say the valves have recessed into the head,do you mean actual valve wear,or that the valve seats have actually 'sunk' into the head? I think my Super3 has this problem?? 3 intakes on 'negative' clearance last time I checked!

The valve is wearing not the seat in the head.  There is so much wear that the valve contact area has widened and the edge of the valve is sharp like a pizza cutter.  Looking at the head on the work bench the exhaust valves are slightly raised off the seats where the intake valves are almost flush.  I'll post some pics when I have been back to the machine shop.  This would also show up as constantly tightening intake valve clearances when checked over time I have owned the bike less than a year so I did not have the ability to monitor this over time.  I'm also curious if once the wear on the valve starts the wear accelerates exponentially.  I also wonder if this is the reason for the low compression numbers as the intake valves might have been slightly open on compression.

Stay tuned.

threepot

I had a reply to this on another site recently,and he mentioned Triumph had a batch of poorly manufactured valves,and a new set would cure this problem? Don't know how much truth in that? I also spoke to Clive Wood,and I'm sure he said the fuel softens them? And you never get a problem with the exhaust,of which all mine were in spec!
I was concerned that it is a valve seat issue .
And when you 'lap' them in,don't overdo it,just a couple of turns!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Goes along with what CLive said on the course.  He's familiar with valves wearing but not valve seats.  As Threepot says and again a Clive quote  "valve land should be 0.05mm,  0.75mm max".

You lot are getting great value for my 75 quid no????
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Of course it's what we're good at in Tigger Triple....getting value out of someone else's £75
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting