News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can a crank position sensor be tested

Started by steamer 96, March 17, 2016, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamer 96

Forgive me for being stupid

My beloved Tiger died on Sunday and was picked up by the bike ambulance and he thought I had a private plate on as its in such good condition (black), at 25k miles it turns over but no spark so with it turning over I assume the clutch switch and side stand switch are fine with the fact that its turning over. 
      I have 12v into the coils on the red but no spark and all the connections seem good,  on Sunday it did splutter a few times and held back but then it just died completley later on in the day, full ignition lights and it turnes over fine but no spark,  the gap on the sensor was/is set at 0.7  so my thoughts is to change the sensor but at £55 I would like to be certain before doing so.

So my question is can I test the sensor to see if it is knackerd or not,  or what do you think !!

Mart

JayDub

When my crank sensor died, I also noticed that the rev counter dropped off at the same time, and usually if you let it stand for a few minutes it will run again - but die again shortly after - maybe for another 5-6 miles.  As it is intermittent failure, its difficult to test.
0.7 is right, I would advise that you get a new one (ebay £40 without cover gasket, £45 with), and if it doesn't fix it then shove it under the seat as a spare, as you will then be chuffed when it does go... and it will.
The ECU would be my next concern... try the connection first, both at the unit and the sub loom.

Mustang

the sensor should ohm at .6 ohms on a multimeter, same as the coils

the problem is at rest the damn things will ohm out fine
it's when they heat up , they quit
having no spark at all on all three cylinders ...........the only thing common to all three cylinders is the ignition pick up sensor on the crank .

and the reason the tach goes dead is because the ignitor (ECU) gets the signal for the tach on #1 from the sensor pickup on the crank shaft

Your mileage is also spot on to when most of the sensors die (right around 25k)
replace the sensor   :nod

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on March 17, 2016, 03:02:46 PM
the sensor should ohm at .6 ohms on a multimeter, same as the coils

the problem is at rest the damn things will ohm out fine
it's when they heat up , they quit
having no spark at all on all three cylinders ...........the only thing common to all three cylinders is the ignition pick up sensor on the crank .

and the reason the tach goes dead is because the ignitor (ECU) gets the signal for the tach on #1 from the sensor pickup on the crank shaft

Your mileage is also spot on to when most of the sensors die (right around 25k)
replace the sensor   :nod
See! thats basically wot I said... (I taught Mustang all he knows  :icon_mrgreen:)

steamer 96

Ah cheers gents for the quick reply...    replacement on order so I might get out on Sunday  :wheel

JayDub    I was reading through your posts and it was pointing to the same issue so I have taken the dip and ordered the £45 unit from Ebay...  its good to carry spares

Will let you know what the outcome is   ta 

steamer 96

Well let me give you an update.....   received the sensor the other day and skipped to the bike with sensor in hand only to find there was still no spark,  so I was checking and double checking all the plugs and connectors and all looked fine.  So its looking like the ECU but they are stupid money even the 2nd hand ones on ebay,  I got talking to a chap who said he sent an ECU to ELECTREX WORLD www.electrexworld.co.uk as they offered a testing service for ECU`s.....  phoned the nice lady and she said they send the units to the netherlands to a company called CARMEX (or something like that) and they will test it for £46 and report if its faulty or not,  if its faulty the repair can be between £129 and £199 and its takes upto three weeks.

Anyway I noticed one on ebay that was tested and gueareteed for £90 and that included the next day delivery,  so 9am I received the ebay ECU and just waiting to finish work to bang it on and give it a try,  at the end of the day if it still doesnt start I know I have a spare pickup sensor and ECU that I can shelf.

With saying that my attention will be pointed to the alarm as I opened the unit and it looks all damp so this could be the direction I go,   stocked up on my beer so its a win win situation  :thumbsup

Mustang

you didn't tell us it had an alarm installed ....................
that would have been the first place I sent you for no spark second would have been the crank sensor. :nod

London_Phil

As I found out at the Triumph meet in Malvern last year, alarms die all the time, and without warning. I was lucky as I had fitted it, so was able to strip it off, and jump the wiring for the starter and ignition.
(It was the alarm unit, not my wiring, so there....)
I am of the opinion, watching these boards over the years, that in most cases, the ECU is NOT the problem, Coils, fueling, pickup sensors, alarms, side stand switches, clutch switches, etc etc maybe, but ECU is way down the suspects list.
Over the years I have obtained a spare Steamer ECU, and a spare Trophy unit, and they have only ever been used to confirm something else is broken.
I know they die, and can be blown, but its rare imho.

steamer 96

:rrr
     Well it HAD (had being now gone) an alarm as its now launched over the garage floor,   I wasnt happy playing with the alarm wiring as its never given me any problem as its not used and to be honest the fob didnt work and I assumed it wasnt connected. So after I joined the two ignition wires together like its shown in the diagram the bike fired as she did previously, after I finsihed my little dance around my cluttered garage  :wings I started to remove the alarm that was obviously installed by somebody who worked in the heat shrink factory as everything and I mean everything was heat shrinked.    :wings     

So now with some spare parts and a little bit more space under my seat I am a happy chappy

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Glad to hear its sorted. I have to have an alarm as I live and work around London, and commute when I can (possibly more so given the threat level on the tube), and as everyone knows, us Londoners will have anything away, even if its bolted to a Kitchen sink.   :augie

Regards

Phil

Sin_Tiger

It had crossed my mind to use the "Bypass Plug" as a simple anti theft device by removing it but knowing my luck I'd forget where I'd put it. Now I tend to side with the external visibale detterant as being the most likely to be effective. If you see someone messing around with their wiring you tend to think they got a problem but if you see someone messing with a chain or lock  :nono
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

steamer 96

Very true however its not common that my Steamer (black) needs attaention so I am taking this as a little glitch but it was still good the rip the alarm out and if needed at a later date I can install a simple switch between the looped wire,    purchased a nice chunky chain so if needs be I can always lock it up. :><

Back on the road