News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer carb cross reference (or what other bikes use the same carb)

Started by bemusedinsojo, October 14, 2016, 03:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

Hello,
I took my red Steamer off road in southern Utah through some red sandy roads. It ran fine until I hit the pavement. It lurched horribly after that, like my dad after he came home from being at sea. I lurched to a campground and began tearing it apart. The carbs were full of the red sludge. So full that the needle valves wouldn't close and it just gushed gas. I cleaned it up as best as I could and limped to the nearest town, parked it, then went home to SLC. I eventually loaded it on a trailer and brought it home. The PO said the carbs were recently rebuilt and are quite clean. But I think I need to rebuild them again just because of all that red dirt of my childhood.
I'm wondering if anyone knows what other bikes used these carbs? After searching a little today I found a Kawasaki Zrx1200 and Vulcan use the Keihin 36mm but are they the same carb? I appreciate it. I want to ride a little more before the snow. Thank you.

I've posted some about racks before but not to the whole group so hello from Utah, the land of contradictions. 

Nick Calne

Hello. That's a lot of red. I'd start by making sure the air filter system wasn't being bypassed - sucking red dust into the red steamer making the red sludge?  Otherwise it'll just recur.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to give you the right answer on the carb questions but there's plenty on carb overhaul in the previous threads if you wanna hit the search tool.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

bemusedinsojo

Yes I got some red on it. It has the stock airbox with a K&N air filter. There are no other air filters. Does it need snorkel filters? I put an inline filter in and haven't seen any new stuff in the carbs.
I searched the forum and found one reference to a Kawasaki ZRX 1200 bowl gaskets possibly working.
It seems Steamer parts are hard to find in the US. Which bums me out. It's been a blast and one of very few bikes that will fit my considerable bulk.
Thanks for replies.
Lynn

bemusedinsojo

When I search then click a link it sends me to the login page. Is it Chrome or are my settings wonky?

Nick Calne

Steamers are definitely a man sized bike for man sized men.

I think there has been a lot of experimentation with air filters and it always seems to be that dead stock standard is the best bet. I have never changed mine as it has always worked fine. Sometimes you'll see a new owner come on here and their bike isn't running right and slowly they work to put it back to standard. Then it's fine again.

Can't help on the parts issue as not in the US. Don't know what is going on with the search either. Works fine for me.

Nick Calne

I think it is bikebandit that the US guys get their parts from.

Timbox2

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on October 14, 2016, 07:08:54 PM
When I search then click a link it sends me to the login page. Is it Chrome or are my settings wonky?

I use chrome and search works for me ok, so yeah, its you :icon_lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

tonytiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: tonytiger on October 15, 2016, 10:41:03 AM
Do'nt know about Keihin but Mikuni are the same on the gsxr.

Almost, if you try fitting the Gixer slides in the Steamer bodies I think you'll find they are tight. The T designation in the model number is to denote Triumph specific and Mikuni have an agreement that those specific parts are sold only to Triumph. Ask Steve at Motocarb  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

Ok thanks for the replies. I love this bike because it can haul me and the wife with some gear and still blast through mountain passes with more to give. So I hope to keep it going until one of us explodes.

Timbox2

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on October 15, 2016, 01:02:28 PM
Almost, if you try fitting the Gixer slides in the Steamer bodies I think you'll find they are tight. The T designation in the model number is to denote Triumph specific and Mikuni have an agreement that those specific parts are sold only to Triumph. Ask Steve at Motocarb  :nod

NRP also do some stuff, but again mainly Mikuni I think, did they only fit Keihin for the last year of the steamer??

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=common/home
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Just read your OP again, as Nick said, I'd stick a good filter in line from the tap as he suggested, could be that the original filters have been removed, not necessarily a bad thing but you do need filtration. See recent thread on the subject.

Wasatch, we  :friday our share and sell the rest  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

tonytiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: tonytiger on October 19, 2016, 04:47:23 PM
Sin I swapped sliders, there is no difference

:thumbsup give it a good test and note the part numbers and we'll update the cross reference list.