News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Best Bike Lift for a Steamer

Started by Danwarb, February 07, 2017, 10:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi guys,

My Tiger only has a side stand and I'd really like to lift the bike properly for servicing and repairs.

I'm not going to use a lift that much but may do for chain maintenance so I'd like a half reliable one.

Can any of you suggest one for around £40 to £70?

This one any good or is there something I need to check for it to work well with a Steamer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FoxHunter-1500LB-Motorbike-Bike-ATV-Quad-Motorcycle-Jack-Lift-Workshop-Red-/380347307746?hash=item588e7756e2:g:LoMAAOSwT5tWQIG1

Cheers,

Dan

:cp :icon_study:
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

ssevy

I have a Sears motorcycle jack, but the crossover pipe on the Tiger presents a bit of a challenge. Probably not the best idea to position that pipe so that any weight is bearing on it.
I bought a center stand for the Tiger (Hepco I think?), and it is much more useful. YMMV
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Nick Calne

+1 on the centre stand. Best accessory and maintenance tool for a steamer in my opinion.

Other than that can't help too much. Have seen some use of axle stands under the footpegs, which I can't vouch for, but presumably gives quite a wide solid base.

Bearing in mind a steamer is a particularly tall, top heavy beast, would this type of jack have too narrow a footprint to keep things stable?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

KamikazeKunze

I concur. My SW-Motech Centerstand is Da Bomb!
I went with that after dealing with a regular motocross bike stand and that dang crossover pipe.

JayDub

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but I wouldn't sit my steamer on it... those supports could damage the sump cover. they're known to crack. I imagine it would only take a drop of oil or chain lube to have you're pride and joy taking a nap - on you.  have you considered a paddock stand, but make sure it can handle 209 kg +.  mine let the bike slide down the oily swingarm, so I had to attach blocks underneath as stops.

Sin_Tiger

Just put that £70 to one side and add a couple of quid each week (one less Starbucks won't kill you) until you have enough for a centre stand  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Beernard

Centrestand for sure. You will love it!
Ripper, woke up again.

ssevy

Quote from: KamikazeKunze on February 08, 2017, 12:05:25 AM
I concur. My SW-Motech Centerstand is Da Bomb!
I went with that after dealing with a regular motocross bike stand and that dang crossover pipe.

Yeah, mine is an SW Motech too. Hepco Becker are the crash bars. Duh :icon_redface:

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Having read your messages I see the centre stand makes great sense. Its also something I don't have to deal with storing.

How would you guys use the centre stand to service the front wheel by getting it to lift off the ground?

:ear

Black 1995 Tiger 885

John Stenhouse

Stick something heavy on the rack............................no actually the safest way is to use a jack under the front
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

ssevy

Quote from: Danwarb on February 10, 2017, 03:35:17 PM
Hi guys,

Having read your messages I see the centre stand makes great sense. Its also something I don't have to deal with storing.

How would you guys use the centre stand to service the front wheel by getting it to lift off the ground?

:ear

See if you can borrow some Harley riders wife and have her sit on the back😉

JayDub

Quote from: ssevy on February 10, 2017, 05:52:33 PM
See if you can borrow some Harley riders wife and have her sit on the back😉
:rfl

As JS says... a car jack under the engine with a piece of wood etc for protection -  wound up just enough to lift the front wheel off the ground  :nod

Nick Calne

Once on the centrestand you can rock the bike onto the rear wheel easily by hand. Then just slip a lump of wood under the engine and you can, with care, fart about with the front wheel.

As with anything about to be jacked up, loosen the front wheel nuts a little while on the ground.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Danwarb

Quote from: Nick Calne on February 10, 2017, 10:32:26 PM
Once on the centrestand you can rock the bike onto the rear wheel easily by hand. Then just slip a lump of wood under the engine and you can, with care, fart about with the front wheel.

As with anything about to be jacked up, loosen the front wheel nuts a little while on the ground.

Brilliant tip Nick.

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

CoolHandLuke

For normal work, I tend to use the centre stand or a hydraulic lift that slides underneath the sump.

However, I needed to work on the underneath of the old girl, so I had to rig this up...