News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Smashed my tiger. What would you do now?

Started by Danwarb, April 04, 2017, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

I'm lying in bed feeling SO LUCKY. A car pulled across my right of way, very last minute and I had to slam the breaks on, throw my bike down and ended up hitting the side of his car with my head and mainly my chest, I was completely winded, eventually got my breath back and taken to hospital by ambulance. After all 'm ok and nothing broken.  :bug_eye

Still, my beautiful steamer hit his car head on then fell to its side. This means the front lights are bashed back in to the fairing, the stearing isn't free and it's likely the forks are bent.

I'm open to repairing it but can't tell if this might be too demanding but I'm up for it?

And buy another second hand steamer, what's the mileage maximum I should look for?

What would you do if you where in my position?

Thanks for your amazing posts.

Dan

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

BruKen

My commiserations. If you come unstuck and looking for another steamer YAPI hasn't seen the light of day for a couple of years and I really should sell her on to someone who will look after / cherish her. Still looks like this but will need a thorough servicing before she's fit for the road now. She was laid away fully serviced with new filters, oil etc but rear brake caliper now a bit sticky / needs a service, rear tyre needs replacing, battery will now need replacement, carbs need cleaning and fresh petrol needed in tank.
I have absolutely no idea what she is worth and not an ebay type fan.

Full resto can be found here somewhere http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,7520.0.html so you know exactly what you're getting

threepot

Glad your ok :thumbsup
Thats a lovely looking bike . Buy it!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

Life is too short to be Steamerless!
Buy that bike and keep your original for parts. Most people do it the other way around, but the end result is the same!
Glad your bike took the worst of it and not you!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

It's the scenario all of us fear, glad it hasn't been more traumatic.

I'd be more worried about the headstock as the forks are strong.

:iagree with Ssevy, see what the car drivers insurance says about writing it off as an uneconomic repair and retainingyour bike. Get a decent bike savvy lawyer involved regardless as insurance companies have a reputation for delaying tactics and back tracking even after accepting liability. When you're up to it, I'd go back to the scene and look around for CCTV that might help you.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Hope your feeling Ok,

I've got a pair of good front forks, just need oil, headlight/bracket  assy with both lights and the frame for the cockpit.
functional but manky front wheel.
If there any use, there yours FOC.
I hope South East Coast Ambo Service were good to you, not sure my lad goes down that far.
Speedy recovery wished.
I need an excuse for a trip to the seaside!!

BruKen

Hi Dan. Replied to your pm but nothing showing in my sent items. If you dont get anything let me know and I'll email you instead.

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Thanks SO much for all your kind posts.

I'm reallly tempted to buy a new steamer and repair this old one as a project because then I could sell a good working steamer and keep the other to make some money back. I just don't have the space for two steamers!

Regarding the incident I've got a great witness and the driver who hit me has fully comprehensive so I'll get everything covered. In my bike being a write off, I'll likely then take the payment minus its scrap value so that I get to keep her.

I'm also tempted to see if I can find one in red for better visibility but it's all down to which opportunities . . .

Once I get a chance I'll photograph the bike and I'd love your guys insight as to the level of repairs I'd need, she's got less than 12K on the clock so worth saving her I feel and selling her on . . .

:notworthy
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Nick Calne

Some guys have all the luck. And they didn't leave much for you Dan did they?

Still walking, talking and relatively unscathed is enough luck.  And enough luck is good enough. Glad to hear you are ok.

If you need any parts for your bike then let me know. I still havr quite a few bits and bobs in the loft.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Beernard

How shithouse, Dan.
I am stoked that you haven't been written off yourself. Hope you are back to your best real soon. Unfortunately, I am so far away I can't help much. But I have a spare bike and if you have trouble sourcing a part (if that's the way you go), message me.
All the best, Bern.
Ripper, woke up again.

threepot

Interesting reading Bruken's restoration thread. Especially the bit on valve seats being too hard! Wonder if that's what caused the issue with my Daytona?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Danwarb

Can you believe it . . .

My old Tiger, that we moved in to a near by SOLO MC parking bay after she was crashed, which I was looking forward to repairing as a project and becoming a second bike after buying another Tiger, last night she was stolen!  :m

So flipping annoying, now I've got insurance missions proving it was a 'right off'  as it was the only evidence for the car drives 'fully comprehensive' insurance to cover replacing it. At least the driver sent me a photo showing how it's been pranged at the front so hopefully this will suffice.
Here's the photo, you can see how bashed in the headlights are and possibly the forks, looking at her, I think I'd have managed to repair her after all, oh well.  :icon_rolleyes:

THANK you SO much to all of you for your kind posts, I feel like I'd never be STEAMERLESS with all you in my life. Thanks again guys.

:occasion14
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

:m

We have a saying up here "If it wisnae fur bad luck, you'd hae nae luck at all"  :cp

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't get a parking ticket.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

London_Phil

Sorry for you luck/loss.... but just think of all the fun the new "owner" will have If there not familiar with its foibles.
Probably joy riders, but well keep an eye on ebay for suspicious Steamer spares.....
Bastards......

Beernard

Ripper, woke up again.