News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Name that tune!? New video uploaded

Started by Hooverscon, April 12, 2017, 06:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooverscon

Ok guys... here it is...this is my first time trying to start the bike. I'm trying to figure out if the noises that you hear during the video are from the Sprag or something a bit easier to fix. Fingers crossed​. Click on the YouTube link.

Nick Calne

Your battery is barely turning over the starter.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

London_Phil

Dude, charge that battery, or your really gonna kill it......

JayDub

:bug_eye definitely the way to kill the sprag.  You need a good battery.

Mustang

hit it with a jump from a car battery , if she aint started in awhile and spin that motor , the faster it spins the sooner those keihins are going to wakeup
and if and when it does start , resist the urge to twist the grip cuz it will just stumble and fall on its own face.
let it sit and idle for a wjle like 10 20 minutes
then if the pilots aren't plugged up you should be able to give it some gas

it'll run like shit at first .................but when those keihins clean out the cobwebs look at her go .........

Hooverscon

I had the battery on a trickle charger for 16 hours... It is showing that it is fully charged??? Definitely sounds like it's a weak battery... But the voltmeter says otherwise.

Did anyone notice the few ticks/knocks?

Mustang

hook it to a car battery and get rid of the m/c battery ..........
steamer batterys aint got enuff oomph to bring a dead bike back to life ..............
then if its still turning slow your starter motors junk

Mustang

seriously ...................
spin it , the faster it spins the quicker it will start.
it will not want any throttle input at all to start just choke and maybe try removing choke while spinning it . trust me .

and put your hand over 1 exhaust and plug it
helps get the motor to burble and at least start to wake up

the key here is spin it fast

Sin_Tiger

:ww wot he said, don't faff around with these litium pack jobbies either, get a big auto battery on it. Junk that battery, a new good quality battery is a lot cheaper than sorting a murdered sprag. You can kill a sprag on most bikes by trying to start a hesitant engine and it won't help the rest of the mechanicals or electrics either.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Hooverscon

Thanks fellas! I'm gonna give it a try here shortly. Two questions 1) what brand/model of battery should I get? 2) I think the choke plunger on the carb is stuck... I am unable to to pull the plunger out. Any suggestions?

threepot

And your lights were on??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on April 12, 2017, 03:28:08 PM
And your lights were on??
I think the're wired that way over the pond TP... with a relay that cuts them when you hit the starter button.

Sin_Tiger

I think if you can't free then up with maintenance spray, that would suggest there's going to be more than just a bit of gum in the carbs and they're going to need a rebuild.

You have checked that the choke cable is free and not restricting things?

Mustang has forgotten more about Keihins than the rest of us know, so listen carefully to what he has to say on the subject  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Hooverscon

I was able to get the bike running by jumping it with a car battery. I let it idle for around 15 minutes until she was warm then I put on about 25 easy miles. I was hoping once I turned it off everything would be running top notch when I tried to restart it... Then I heard this lovely noise.

Mustang

GET A new BATTERY IN HER
EVEN A 45 DOLLAR EVERSTART FROM WALMART WORKS GOOD FOR A YEAR OR SO

that may be all she needs ...........

and if not ,well the sprag job will let you get intimate with the old girl .
BTW she looks to be in pretty good shape otherwise ,

serious your battery could be all it needs
get to wally world and throw 45 bucks at it .