News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Runs better at sea level

Started by bemusedinsojo, August 17, 2017, 10:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

I just got back from Portland were my red steamer pulled its first wheelie. I punched it entering traffic and much to my delight and surprise the front wheel lifted a little. I tried it again on I5 during stop and go traffic and it did it again. Flash forward to Utah- tried it here but no dice. What can I do to get that power back without moving somewhere close to sea level? 42.5 pilots, 108 mains and needles shimmed with 2.25 turns is what I'm running in Keihins. Or is there something else I need to do?

Also, my speedo stopped working as I was coming back home. It was working and when I looked again, the needle was pointing down and no amount of tapping would bring it to life. The cable is new. I had the front wheel off to install a knobby so maybe I put it back on wrong? I was on some washboard forest service roads, and some single track for a bit so maybe I bounced something off. (BTW Freddie is a machine on fs roads. Single track not so much but I never wrecked much to the chagrin of my brother in law who repeated ate it on his Kawasaki Super Sherpa, a 250cc baby bike. Really small it is). Oh yeah, I crossed my first river on it too. A trip with many firsts.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

JoeDirt

Yea... I googl'ed Utah and found it is the 3rd highest state in US at 6100 feet. The air would be thinner than that at sea-level. All internal combustion engines prior to fuel injection are affected by high altitude. So yes, you might see a difference in power. I know that when people travel to the mountains the owner's manuals on older cars suggest to adjust fuel to air mixture on carburetors.

~JD

<hey... what am I doing in the Steamer forum gosh>  :^_^

bemusedinsojo

Hey JD,
Yeah I gotfa pull the carbs again and turn the screws again. I wish there was a way to do it on the bike while running. I was hoping for a magic fix that made it run like a bat out of hell. Heavy sigh.

London_Phil

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on August 18, 2017, 05:58:41 PM
Hey JD,
Yeah I gotfa pull the carbs again and turn the screws again. I wish there was a way to do it on the bike while running. I was hoping for a magic fix that made it run like a bat out of hell. Heavy sigh.

Is it a big enough deal that you'll move though?
If so,  please wait till after we come see you, or is there something we should know?

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: London_Phil on August 18, 2017, 06:22:08 PM
Is it a big enough deal that you'll move though?
If so,  please wait till after we come see you, or is there something we should know?
Hey Phil,
No I'll stay put. Portland is usually so soggy that moss grows on the sidewalk. You gotta be a rolling stone there. Plus my wife and kid are here so I better stay. I'll just remember the glory day of wheelies ( which I'm sure will get higher and higher the older I get).

Still planning on showing you tire shops and how to drive on the wrong side.  :mut

Sin_Tiger

You'll have to remind him what the choke lever does as he'll have forgotten by now  :icon_scratch:

Could just be a bit loose at the speedo head, it can be a bugger to get them on properly in there, done it myself.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 18, 2017, 09:20:15 PM
You'll have to remind him what the choke lever does as he'll have forgotten by now  :icon_scratch:

Yes he's moved to the proper century where choke is a verb.

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 18, 2017, 09:20:15 PM
Could just be a bit loose at the speedo head, it can be a bugger to get them on properly in there, done it myself.

I'll give that a look Sin. Maybe it'll be easy.. BTW thanks for the replies.

bemusedinsojo

JoeDirt

threepot

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on August 18, 2017, 05:58:41 PM
Hey JD,
Wouldn't the 'whole' carb settings need changing? I mean raising the needles too? The idle mix screws you refer to,only effect low rpms? Don't get that problem in the UK. Our highest point is about 1300 mtrs.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

London_Phil

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: London_Phil on August 22, 2017, 04:22:38 PM
Something like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Air-Fuel-Mixture-Carb-Adjuster-/310270871868

???

I have something like that. It works on one carb; the 90 degree bend is too much and it won't fit between the carbs and the block. I'll post a pic later to show what I mean.

JayDub

I believe that a lot of the ones on ebay are too deep to get the center screw, this is the favourite one - but not cheap...
http://www.carbtune.co.uk/bevel.html
Triumph do the 'made for the job ' one, but I can't find it.

Sparky

From experience the Motion Pro tool works on Keihin Steamer carbs.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0229

1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: JayDub on August 22, 2017, 10:15:40 PM
I believe that a lot of the ones on ebay are too deep to get the center screw, this is the favourite one - but not cheap...
http://www.carbtune.co.uk/bevel.html
Triumph do the 'made for the job ' one, but I can't find it.
Quote from: Sparky on August 22, 2017, 11:16:57 PM
From experience, the Motion Pro tool works on Keihin Steamer carbs.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0229

These are exactly what I need. But wow, not cheap.