News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

It's Alive! ...Sort of.

Started by 98TIGA, June 22, 2019, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98TIGA

I finally got the Steamer back on the road! Performed a pod conversion, oil change, chain rub strip/block replacement, new fluids all the way around, new bulbs for the instruments (virtually all were burned out, and installed new fairing hardware. Took it down to have it titled and registered and it ran excellent!

Unfortunately, when I got home and washed the bike, I noticed a small hairline crack on the outer portion of the rotor-- maybe a 1/4 of an inch long or so and it doesn't appear to go all the way through. Major cause for concern there? Do you guys think I can get away with riding it for a season (1,500 miles or so), or should I replace it immediately?
'98 Tiger, '12 Bonneville SE, '91 K100RS

Mustang

Run it .....but start lookin for a spare .
It would not pass inspection here in NH

98TIGA

Thanks for chiming in, Mustang-- I really value your expertise. I figure I'll favor my rear brake until I get it replaced this fall.

I mean... it's only a brake, right? Who needs 'em, anyway?

Geoff W

I ran with a cracked disc for probably 1,000 miles. When the mechanic who does my MOT test and other stuff saw it he wouldn't let me ride it home. He gave me lift in his van. As he said they can distort on that crack and jam in the calliper locking the front wheel and sending you over the bars. I would get it changed asap. Discs are cheaper than a new head.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

98TIGA

Update:

I just noticed another crack on the other rotor as well, and in the same spot. It's frustrating, because the bike's been a bit of a money pit. I figured it wouldn't be cheap to restore it to its former glory, but it seems like every time I turn around it needs something. It's been a labor of love, and I'm not planning on giving up any time soon, but it's been an expensive endeavor.

I'm kind of surprised the holes were drilled so close to the edge of the rotor... seems like it's just asking to fracture there. Yet, aircraft repairs on aluminum used to constitute drilling a hole at the end of the crack to stabilize it, which is essentially what we have here, so I ought to be relatively sure it's not going to crack further, yeah?

Any recommendations for rotors on a budget? How about pads?

bowyer2002

@98TIGA - thread hi-jack! Nice looking steamer!
I really dig the crank case breather routing into the exhaust!
You're not using a stock PITA air box either, do you have a link on what you did for the current carb set up? Jets, filters, etc.?Thx

Good luck on the rotor!

98TIGA

Thanks, man! I sure appreciate it. I'm running K&N pods (PN# RC-0983) on there now. I currently have it jetted to 42 pilots and 138 mains, 2.5 turns out on the air adjustment screws; picked the jets up at the Honda dealership. I couldn't justify the outrageous price for carb boots, so I made some out of 1" sections of radiator hose. I'm very pleased with their rigidity, and they don't seem to have any problem supporting the weight of the carbs without a bracket. You can see them on the "Necessity: The Mother of Invention" sticky at the top of the board.

The breather hose is actually zip-tied to the lower engine/brush guard. I considered going the duckbill route, but instead attached a PVC valve that I picked up at NAPA.

I initially purchased some Chinese-made rotors (Arashi) off of Amazon that seemed to get decent enough reviews, but canceled the order after getting cold feet. Ended up purchasing some Brembos from a company in Italy for $77/piece, along with some EBC pads.

I had a woman run a red light and nearly t-bone me as I was going through an intersection last night. I guess brakes are kinda' important... would've been a terrible time for them to fail!

bowyer2002

Glad you're still riding & avoided a crash!
Two things you NEVER skimp on: Tires and brakes, but you know that!
Also, thanks for the info on your carb set-up!
So, the Brembos are installed? Any photos? Problems with install, etc?

98TIGA

I just ordered the rotors a couple of days ago and I haven't received confirmation of them shipping yet, but I'm confident there won't be any issues. Listing was for a "1993-1998 Triumph Tiger 900" and the company's gotten excellent reviews. I'll certainly upload photos and report back when I have them installed.

Beernard

Gday 98. Just a small thing that may not be a problem for a while (radiator hose is a bit stronger than original carb insulators!). My Honda CB750 racebike suddenly wouldn't run right. I spent a shitload of time and a nasty amount of cash (after I gave up!) to be told the insulators had cracked because my new you-beaut carbs and pods weren't supported. The pretty new insulators could not possibly have been the problem, because they were newer than nearly everything else on the poor old thing! 2 zip-ties and the old, hard, shitty insulators from the box of 40 year old parts have performed flawlessly for years! Anyway, file that away I suppose. Nice looking Steamer, by the way. Good luck with her.
Ripper, woke up again.

98TIGA

Thanks for the heads up! I'll certainly keep that in mind. I think I'd feel better about fitting some sort of support bracket to take the load off the carb boots-- I just haven't done it yet.

I appreciate the compliments on the bike, but I have a confession to make... I inadvertently uploaded the wrong file here.  The shot I posted was the result of me playing around in Photoshop with different paint and decal schemes. I'm not quite sure how I managed to do that, but will post the unadulterated photo of my bike tonight.

I have some left over maroon single-stage paint that I purchased for an '83 Jaguar XJ6 I was going to restore.  I've since sold the car, and now I have a quart of the stuff just lying around... might deviate from the British racing green that's on it now (so I don't blend in with the trees so much); perhaps do some silver or gold leaf "Triumph" badging.

I was fortunate enough to pick up on a number of parts from a fella' that was parting out his Steamer last fall. Last night I installed a set of Tech-7 heated grips that I purchased from him, and I'm mulling over whether I want to put the Hagon rear shock on there now or run the original for a while; dampening still seems to work quite well. I've got some Heed crash bars on order from Poland and some T400 front turn indicators coming from Germany, so I'm as giddy as a little boy on Christmas Eve! No more hand signals for me!

bowyer2002

@98TIGA  - Contact me when the Heed crash bars come in, I have advice for the installation that their instructions lack.

98TIGA

I certainly will! Thank you. Do you have Messenger by chance?

GavD

Quote from: 98TIGA on June 27, 2019, 04:52:22 PM
I'm mulling over whether I want to put the Hagon rear shock on there now or run the original for a while

Do yourself a favour, fit the Hagon. I would expect a 98 original shock to have lost its gas by now. I bought a second hand Hagon from fleabay and it was only after I fitted it that i realised how shit the original had got.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

98TIGA

You really think so, Gav?  When I first got the bike, I noticed the ride height was quite high. Turns out the dampening adjustment was turned up all the way! Since backing it out, I can actually touch the ground with more than just my tiptoes.

I've read the Hagon is actually shorter than the stock shock and effectively lowers the bike's overall height. Is that true?

The Hagon appears to be in great shape, with the exception of the plastic/rubberized coating over the spring, which is starting to crack and break away. I wonder what the ramifications of removing this coating would be? I frequently wash my bike with a little bit of diesel/kerosene along with the soap, so rust and corrosion isn't a huge concern to me.