News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Major service step by step.

Started by VABird, December 09, 2019, 12:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VABird

I thought (briefly) about replacing my 2006 955i with an late model 800XR, but after some consideration, there's so many things that I like better about the 955i, that I just decided to take all the time I need through the winter and go through it from stem to stern. I have other bikes to ride, so it's no big deal to lay her up for a month or two  and take my time. It'll be all the sweeter when it's done.
So, I'll document as much as is practical. I won't go through the entire agenda now, but no stone will be left unturned.
Today I had a half day, so I started at the front. I already had the front tire. Remove forks to replace oil, check fork seals. NOTHING goes back together unless thoroughly cleaned, so likely as much time cleaning as other work. 
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.
John 3:16

Tiger-G

Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

Chris Canning

One of the best things i've Done to mine was when putting TuneECU on it saw that although the bike had been running Ok'ish the plug/coils where not equal when eventually changing all the 3 at 40 odd thousand the difference was remarkable.

VABird

So, the lower fork tubes are a bit scuffed up and I was considering powder coating them, but SM calls for a special tool to disassemble. Is it strictly necessary?
The ride might be fun, but in the great scheme of things, it's the destination that counts.

VABird

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 09, 2019, 05:22:02 PM
One of the best things i've Done to mine was when putting TuneECU on it saw that although the bike had been running Ok'ish the plug/coils where not equal when eventually changing all the 3 at 40 odd thousand the difference was remarkable.

Changing the plugs or the coils?

Timbox2

Quote from: VABird on December 09, 2019, 11:40:06 PM
So, the lower fork tubes are a bit scuffed up and I was considering powder coating them, but SM calls for a special tool to disassemble. Is it strictly necessary?

You'll probably get them apart without it, its when re-assembling. It holds the piston while you tighten up the bottom screw. I have heard of people using broom handles and such like though and some have made their own, its basically a big hex but I cant remember the size, might be on here somewhere with a search, look here:

Oh, its 30mm hex
2016 Tiger Sport

VABird

Thanks, but I found out it'd be a month before the shop would be doing my color again, so I just decided to strip and paint them, along with repainting a few other scuffed up parts. Today, I redid the front brakes; replaced pads, cleaned and lubed pins. I'll flush brake fluid when it's all reassembled.

BTW, I'm not after a concours restoration; it's my errand running everyday bike.

I'm waiting on my fork oil (supposed to arrive tomorrow) so I can get the front end back together.
Pics to follow.

Chris Canning

:*
Quote from: VABird on December 10, 2019, 04:05:24 AM
Changing the plugs or the coils?

Coils,not a great deal of difference in the readings on Tune ECU but a major difference after changing them.

Ossian

On your forks. Can I suggest that you buff them with a coarse Scotchbrite drill buff and then clear varnish with a high quality satin floor varnish. Looks more like the original finish than painting or powder coating.

VABird

Quote from: Ossian on December 11, 2019, 08:09:35 PM
On your forks. Can I suggest that you buff them with a coarse Scotchbrite drill buff and then clear varnish with a high quality satin floor varnish. Looks more like the original finish than painting or powder coating.

That would look good, but I'm not really concerned with originality. There's already a lot of other parts already painted blue. Also, the forks are already painted!

VABird

Quote from: Chris Canning on December 11, 2019, 05:07:07 PM
:*
Coils,not a great deal of difference in the readings on Tune ECU but a major difference after changing them.

The bike runs great, so I'll likely wait until a coil craps out to replace them.
I had Nology coils on my Legend TT and really liked them.

VABird

Phase 1: Forward of the tank.
New tire, brake pads, flush front brake fluid, LED headlight bulbs, add another LED driving light.
Inspect bearings & seals, clean & lube brake calipers, check head stock bearings, clean & lube speedo drive.
Check rotors for wear (Minimum 5 MM; they're both @ 5.5 MM.)
Paint forks, flush & replace fork oil, and repaint other scratched parts.
Clean, clean, clean.
Clean, clean, clean.

VABird

Phase 2 underway.
Remove rear wheel, replace tire. (If you're mounting your own, be sure to align the dot with the valve stem and ensure directional arrow is correct.) I used 2 oz. of lead shot for balance beads. Inspect bearings, seals & cush drive.
Removed rear fender to clean and to access shock better for removal.
Clean, clean, clean some more!

Tiger-G

Those wheels look in great condition. The powder coating started lifting on mine 3 seconds after the warranty ended, it's been getting steadily worse ever since. Same with the swing arm. Have you had them refurbed ??
Safe Riding.

Regards,
Graeme.

VABird

Quote from: Tiger-G on December 14, 2019, 11:08:34 AM
Those wheels look in great condition. The powder coating started lifting on mine 3 seconds after the warranty ended, it's been getting steadily worse ever since. Same with the swing arm. Have you had them refurbed ??
Nope, all original.