News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

*HOW* the Tiger got burnt

Started by echoyankee, July 23, 2005, 02:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

echoyankee

(See also Thread 1361)

Well, the post mortem is as follows:

The thermostat on my 2001 tiger (24K miles) got stuck.  

This prevented coolant from circulating to the radiator after the engine warmed up to operating temperature.  

Extraordinarily hot coolant managed to dribble past the thermostat and destroyed a nylon (plastic) elbow fitting which is in the line which leads to the coolant overflow tank.  (This is located behind the instruments on the right side.) The flow to the overflow tank caused it to read higher than normal and then, when the plastic fitting failed, I got smoke and coolant coming out of the instrument panel.  

The damages:

New Thermostat: US$52

New O ring to accompany new Thermostat:  US$7

New coolant inserted: US$20

New 8mm elbow fitting (plastic):  US$6

Labor: @85/hr =  $255

Days without Tiger: 30

COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE:

I discontinued use of the machine within 5 minutes after this smoking started and shut the machine down and didn't use it again until it had seen some professional help.  In hindsight, this was the right call.  I would have removed the gas tank (allen keys and torx fittings all) and tried filling it full of coolant.  The motorcycle would STILL have overheated due to the stuck thermostat and I could have been stuck as a result.  

I spoke briefly to the mechanic about replacing the plastic elbow fitting with a metal one (similar to the "dry break" fuel disconnects) and then he and I both looked at one another with the same conclusion.  If the plastic fitting hadn't failed when it did, I would have continued to do damage to the motor without really knowing it.  Head gasket replacement anyone?  I would rather plunge a chilled salad fork into my eye.

The take home message:

If smoke is coming out of your instruments from the cooling system, you may very well have a stuck thermostat and you are advised to discontinue use of the  machine until you can verify status of the thermostat.  After the smoke clears and the motorcycle is cooled down, inspect not only the thermostat (under the gas tank with everything else) but also disassemble the front cowling and make sure that the plumbing to and from your expansion tank is still doing well.

I may not post for a while.  I'm going RIDING! :D

Best,

echoyankee

BykBoy

Quote from: "echoyankee"The take home message:

If smoke is coming out of your instruments from the cooling system, you may very well have a stuck thermostat and you are advised to discontinue use of the  machine until you can verify status of the thermostat.  After the smoke clears and the motorcycle is cooled down, inspect not only the thermostat (under the gas tank with everything else) but also disassemble the front cowling and make sure that the plumbing to and from your expansion tank is still doing well.

I may not post for a while.  I'm going RIDING! :D

Good post! I'll have to start looking at my instruments...  :lol:

Did you find out why the Thermo got stuck in the first place? I wonder if it's the same deal like the fuel sender that gets stuck...
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

echoyankee

The Thermostat, outwardly, has a shiny spot on it where it has clearly rubbed up against something.  Maybe its own coils, though.  Other than that, it is still pretty much fine.  It still compresses in my hands.  

I can only imagine that it has gone through one too many heat-cool cycles.  

Stamped into it's surface are the words "Made in Germany."  

You can take away from that whatever you want to!

In the troubleshooting end of things, a fellow from the 955i boards suggested putting the thermostat into a pot of boiling water on the stove.  The thermostat should compress at a magic temperature listed in a technical manual somewhere.  It struck me as an excellent simple diagnostic that even I could perform.  (Because, well, I can DEFINITELY boil water.)

Boo

Interesting thread this one! This weekend I experienced a simillar thing on my 2006 955. Did about 100 miles and found some spillage of coolant on the right side of the tank, but only a little. I put it down to too much coolant in the expansion tank. After a 1 1/2 hour stop for tea off we went again. Most riding was at 50 MPH then some slow bits for 1/2 a mile. Then woooosh! It blew a coolant pipe from the motor to the thermostat housing. After 3 1/3 hour wait for the recovery, I took it all apart to find the stub for the pipe on the housing with a nick took out of the side.  Not sure about the thermostat, it does push the pin out when in hot water but it does not look like it is good enough to push against the spring pressure.
Gave up in the end, ordered a complete unit from flea bay. Will try this when it arrives later this week.