News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New boy questions

Started by Badgerboy, August 19, 2005, 09:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerboy

Hello London calling,

Just bought a 99 Tiger (25000 miles) and have noticed some obviously huge differences to the Honda VTR1000 I px'd against it. Comfy, great view, you can plan your route from a high position rather than squirting into gaps and stopping. Also you can stare out white van man in his Transit eye to eye. There are a few minor glitches though.

1) Wind buffetting, does a smaller screen solve this, even with ear plugs in its noisy.

2) Tyres, I am not going to take a 220 kilo bike off road, can anyone recommend good road only tyres, do Bridgestone do BT020s to fit?

3) Seat, initially feels comfy but after a while you can feel the bones in your backside, any good alternatives or add ons.

4) I have a bit of a misfire/flatspot/roughness between 4500 to 6000 revs any ideas?

Despite these issues I am enjoying the bike and I can ride over bumps on Britains pot-holed roads without having to get my back fixed afterwards.
Regards

Badgerboy

Brock

Badgerboy...big welcome from Brock!

You couldn't have chosen a tool less like your VTR. You'll get to love her though. You've touched on one of the popular conundrums with the buffetting. If you trawl the forums you'll find lots of clues, but it'll depend very much on personal issues like height, helmet, clothing etc. One thing's for sure...Tiger aint aerodynamic!

A few different tyres are available now for the Tiger. Many fit Tourances and they're adequate, and even allow you to get the pegs down occasionally (honest!). I tried Anakees once and they were good, Bridgestone are supposed to offer the Battle Wing now, especially for Tiger riders who favour the road.

Lots of folks have tried the gel seat option Triumph do, and recommend it.

Your new gal's well loosened up by now, so the engine should be just right. Someone with more knowledge of your model year may have some ideas regarding the misfire.

Good luck with her!
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

steveb

welcome Badgerboy.  Where in Herts are you? The seat really isn't bad at all -I've just done 2200 miles in 6 days in the French/Italian Alps without getting a sore backside, but it might have been the awsome scenery taking my mind off it! It shouldn't be rough between 4500 & 6000, if you want to try my yellow 99 with 15000 miles on to compare, you're more than welcome.

Steve

Badgerboy

Thanks for your help guys.

I will take my time sorting the things that I had noticed, fact is after riding the Tiger to work every day, 25 miles into London, I am getting used to these minor issues and enjoying the bike more each day.

It is a very relaxing bike to ride, handles much better than it ought to and doesn't beat my back up like the Firestorm did. It also feels like cars move over more readily must have a bit more presence.

I will probably get the bike serviced, know of any good and reasonable places?
Regards

Badgerboy

davensocal

Badgerboy-

FWIW, I had buffetting issues on my '00 tiger...  I tried a taller screen, but it only helped a little.  

I eventually cut down the stock screen.  It is now only alittle  taller than the cowling.  It offers no wind protection, but the wind I get is clean.  

You can see the screen here...

radio mount pics

ballmick

are you near to letchworth as my good friend services my tiger. he has all the equipment, even the computer to tune up your bike. if you call autoservices on 01462677900 and ask for droid, he will sort you out

Badgerboy

Thanks a lot for the number I will definitely give him a call (when I have saved a bit) as I live in Hertford.
Regards

Badgerboy