News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Trading 1200GS for Tiger

Started by NortonCharlie, August 22, 2005, 05:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonCharlie

I was at Baxter Cycles open house this weekend.  I met an older couple there who ride alot in alot of places.  They took a test ride on a new Tiger and are dropping BMW to get a new Tiger.  They have been traveling 2 up on a GS which burned up it's wiring harness in mexico, which according to BMW a fluke even though a bunch of bikes have burned and the wiring harness is going to be back ordered for a long time.  He also told me his brakes had quit working completely in a couple of circumstances.  But the important thing they said is that they loved the comfort, power and handling of the Tiger.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

SIBBO

Mudhen

One down, 10 bazillion to go...but we'll get 'em.  Eventually.
\'96 Steamer

Brock

Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

malc

Well ive just done it too just traded bmw R1150R for 06 tiger pick it up in a week & cant wait
its grrreaaattttttttt

apache

I prevoiusly owned a 94 Cagiva/Ducati Elefant 900. These are horrid in the electrical dept but it can easily be improved upon. Several of the guys I has spoke with during my ownership has commented that the only thing worst than a Elefant for wiring was a BMW. I wasent aware of this and always thought they were top notch. I could never figure this out after owning a few German cars. Do the new Tigers have ABS? My fiding friend`s GS has it and has caused him a few crashes due to it when we were in the dirt. It can be shut off but you have to turn on/off the ignition several times to get it off. Glad I have a Tiger.

Mudhen

Quote from: "apache"I prevoiusly owned a 94 Cagiva/Ducati Elefant 900. These are horrid in the electrical dept but it can easily be improved upon. Several of the guys I has spoke with during my ownership has commented that the only thing worst than a Elefant for wiring was a BMW. I wasent aware of this and always thought they were top notch. I could never figure this out after owning a few German cars. Do the new Tigers have ABS? My fiding friend`s GS has it and has caused him a few crashes due to it when we were in the dirt. It can be shut off but you have to turn on/off the ignition several times to get it off. Glad I have a Tiger.

I had ABS on my '04 GS Adventure.  The only time I ever dropped it was when I had disabled the ABS.  I loved it [ABS], even on the nastiest of trails.  My rear foot brake was set too low, even worse than my steamer, and I had trouble getting to it standing up with my dirt boots on, so I just used the hand brake (linked, so it operated both front/rear).

I was just careful with it because with the servo assist it only took minor effort...but it always worked awesome for me.  I'm no 'thrasher', though, so never wanted to use the rear brake for steering - my thought was I never really wanted 600lbs sliding on OR off road...
\'96 Steamer