News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Marketing study, would you buy this?

Started by Sasquatch, December 07, 2005, 07:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Hi guys.  The company I work for is considering purchasing the motorcycle products division of SmarTire.  They build tire pressure monitoring systems for all types of vechicles.  They want to concentrate on the commercial and Motorhome industry and have approached us to take on the Motorcycle side of the business.

Our company profile is that we have been working with SmarTire for over 4 years on an engineering level to intergrate their tire systems with our on board trip computer for high end motorhomes.  As employees of our company, over half are avid motorcyclist.  You may have read a trip report or two from me on ADVrider or in Dual Sport News magazine.

Ok, enough of the introductions.  Please look at this product and tell me if you would be interested in it.  We are a seller of it now, but looking at buying the whole rights to the product.  Just guaging interest.  I have it on my bike and would not be without it.  It is only for tubeless tires though.  But input is needed anyway.

http://www.smartire.com/products/motorcycles/index.html

NortonCharlie

I really don't know, it looks like it would be handy but I don't know if I would spend very much for the convenience.  I am pretty good about checking my tires but it would be nice to be warned of a leak before the bike gets all squirily on the road.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Sasquatch

Thank you, this is the type of feedback I am looking for.  Keep it comming.

Chris Canning

Same as every thing else in this life!!!! great idea but how much,and I say that as someone spends far to much on motocycles as it is!!!

The ideas great,but will the price kill it???

apache

Thats pertty trick, depending on cost as usual I would consider one. A screaming alarm would be a nice touch so one dosent have to take their eyes off the road to check. Just dont get any ideas of automatic inflation systems for bikes. That I would be real hesitant to trust.

Sasquatch

Sorry, I guess I could have told you the price.  The kit is $199.00 USD MSRP

Battery life for the transmitters is 7 years at 25,000 miles/year.  Does not transmit when not moving so no battery usage when parked.

Here is a photo of it on my bike:

wonko the sane

Jay, when you air down for the trails, do you change the alert setting?  Or do you just set the alert for the trails and leave it that way for the pavement?

Just out of curiosity, what temperatures do you see after highway riding?

Since 90 percent of my riding is commuting, and I generally check my pressures every other week, I won't be purchasing the SmarTire.  Also, I'm stingy. :wink:

John.

Kankakee, IL.
The world is a book, and those who don\'t travel, read only a page.

St. Augustine

whoa

I think the price is great.  I bet your market is mostly touring with a little sport rider mixed in.  Most of my rides are commuting or short duration so its not of strong interest to me.  Except that the price is very reasonable, so it would be on the nice to have list.

You've used it, would you like to see the data cycle without the rider having to press a button?  That seems like it would be a nice option.

Thanks for posting.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "wonko the sane"Jay, when you air down for the trails, do you change the alert setting?  Or do you just set the alert for the trails and leave it that way for the pavement?

Just out of curiosity, what temperatures do you see after highway riding?

Since 90 percent of my riding is commuting, and I generally check my pressures every other week, I won't be purchasing the SmarTire.  Also, I'm stingy. :wink:

John.

Kankakee, IL.

Changing the set inflation pressures is simple.  When I get to the dirt and air down I start the bike and hold the button down for about 5=8 seconds.  This puts it into learn mode.  As soon as you take off, whatever you set as your pressures becomes the new cold inflation pressure.

Fully loaded I see 150-165 degrees at the rear and about 130 at the front.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "whoa"I think the price is great.  I bet your market is mostly touring with a little sport rider mixed in.  Most of my rides are commuting or short duration so its not of strong interest to me.  Except that the price is very reasonable, so it would be on the nice to have list.

You've used it, would you like to see the data cycle without the rider having to press a button?  That seems like it would be a nice option.

Thanks for posting.

Your right about the market, but you guys are my friends so why not ask?

No, I really do not want to see it cycle.  When you first take off, it will cycle and show you the pressures.  Then it goes to sleep and just has the two tire icons lit up.  As you use the product and start trusting it, you dont want anything flashing on the screen.

georover1

I would be interested but I as alot of Tiger owners are running tube tires. I'm assuming this only works on cast tubeless wheels.
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

apache

Sasquatch, i was curious about the radio strapped to the bars. We have a set but the range is only a short bit and dont work for doodoo in mountainous areas. I wasent aware of anything much better that style. Coulda saved my arse a few times.

Sasquatch

The radio we have found to have about a 1.5 mile range on the flats and a good 1/4 to 1/2 mile in the tight mountains here in Idaho.  Get out on a mountain ridge and I was able to keep in solid communication with my father over 3 miles away.  They are the Motorola 250 talkabouts.  Powered by 3 AA batteries that last about 2 days.

Wired into the helmets and to a push to talk button with the Motocomm wiring kit.

davensocal

ummm....

Pros-

Active display of tire pressure

Changing display if there is a problem (draws your attention)

Display of temperature could also be indicator of impending failure??

programmable target pressure

Cons-

Cost

Tubeless only

There is also another product that monitors tire pressure, and is much cheaper.  basically, it does not transmit, instead it has a flashing LED to indicate when pressure has dropped...  Essentially only works if your pressure was low when you "approached" the vehicle.

http://www.aviationupgrade.com/airvalve.html

Pros-

Cost

Ease of Operation

any tire / vehicle type

Cons-

No remote display

one time pressure setpoint

no temp data

Question:  Does this system have the ability to alarm for tire temperature?  In no, that might be a very nice option that should be easy to add..  Might provide 2 layers of protection.

UPDATE- scrap that last question, the Smartire does alarm for high temp..  Amazing what you can learn by reading :)

Sasquatch

Temperature is critical.  I played with the system on a long boring stretch of road in Eastern Montana last summer.  5 psi drop in my rear tire, which was not even noticeable to me, increased the tire temperature by 16 degrees.  Does not sound like alot, but it ran at 147 degrees at 42psi cold.  Dropped 5 psi to 37 and the temp went up to 163 degrees.  How much faster will your tire wear at those temps?  I actually dont know the answer, but I bet it will wear faster.

Other interesting things I found.  When I set my rear tire at 42psi cold, at 147 degrees, I was at 48psi.  The deviation number was at -1psi, so I was perfect for the temperature.

I really dont play with it much when I ride.  I have used it enough now that I totally trust it.  If it is not flashing and alarming at me, all is well.