News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anodised rims

Started by mcilvenny, April 13, 2006, 12:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcilvenny

Does anyone know if you can have original rims anodised ???

My rims have a small amount of pitting which isn't serious but does not look so nice.  I was hoping to have the rims anodised black and re-lased with new stainless spokes.

Any info / advice appreciated.
EeeZeee Tiger

\"96\" Steamer

Patrick

I ain't that good in metal working. But AFAIK there are two possibilities:

1) The rims aren't anodized. Therefore, by principle, it should be possible to anodize them. But some sorts of aluminium are more suitable for anodization than others. Dunno what with the sort Triumph used for the steamer's rims...

2) If they are anodizes (shouldn't think so), there is the possibility do de-anodize them. After that: see 1)

BUT: Why anodizing the rims? In either case you have to dismantle the wheel (hub, rim, spokes) If you do so, you can simply powdercoat or paint them. Powdercoating last longer and means more resistance to impacts than paint. AFAIK, it should be cheaper than anodization. And I don't know if the result of anodizing a pitted surface will get a good-looking result. AND anodized rims may change color, if exposed to strong sunlight...

Anyway, have fun!

Patrick

russ_fae_fyvie

I went throguh the same thing when I got my bike repainted. I eventually decided to get the wheels plastic coated because, living in Scotland, I wanted them more resistant to the salt on the roads, I would think Anodizing wouldn't be as resistant to it. I know from working in design in the Oil Industry, once the anodised part is marked (i.e. scratched through to the original metal) the finish gets progressivly worse.Also putting stainless steel (spokes)against aluminium (rim) is not a good idea (in a salty environment) as it forms a nice little cell that rots like mad !

Anyway its just a personal opinion, plus some science !

My wheels cost around £280 for the 2 to be black plastic coated including the spokes and rims, I think you can just make them on on dis 'ere photo !