News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

overheating

Started by wdkng_24, July 07, 2006, 08:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdkng_24

need some help guys.  my battery was dead the other night, so i put a charger on it overnight.  got it started this morning, and let it turn for a while to build some more power.  came out after about ... oh, 10 minutes or so and there was a puddle of coolant under the bike and the gauge was quite high.  i shut it off, let it cool a bit, and then road it to work.

when i went out for lunch it was climbing to red the whole time.  on the way back it did the same thing.  fan is running, there is still coolant in the overflow, and the fuses are all good.  its got over 21k on the bike and have never had a problem like this.  it is in the range however for the overflow line recall based on VIN number.  but what the hell happened overnight to make the bike do this?  please help, cause i'm confused ...

greg

Sounds like it might be an airlock - when you left it running it got hot, spilt coolant and air got sucked into the system. Maybe. Try bleeding it.
2004 Girly.

wdkng_24

will do.  think it just overheated from sitting their idling.  its seems strange cause its never done it before .... it wasn't even that hot out this morning.

iansoady

Quote from: "wdkng_24"it is in the range however for the overflow line recall based on VIN number...

Any details on this, especially what the range is which is affected and what needed doing? I just got a blank look when I asked my local Triumph agent.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

NortonCharlie

It might have got some junk stuck under the radiator cap when it blew out the coolant.  Problem is you have to pull the fuel tank to get to it and clean it up.  That is what mine did.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

dobbo

my 02 tiger, was overheating recently, the problem turned to be a defective coolant temperature sensor. good luck.

wdkng_24

next question all ... anyone ever witnesses something that looks like smoke and smells like anti-freeze coming out of the cowl right behind the fuel gauge?  like it probably came from the overflow ... but why?

NortonCharlie

Someone did have that happen, I remember reading about it.  Coolant started spraying out behind the cowl.  I can't remember the result, if the hoses were reversed or a pinched hose.  I'm sure whoever it hapeened to remembers!
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

stopwatch

Mine was leaking coolant/ steam from behind dash. Turned out the plastic 90 degree "elbow" fitting that connects the overflow hose to the overflow  tank was broken.

wdkng_24

ok, overheating is fixed.  topped off and bled out.  however, like an dum bass i managed to cut an oring on the red fuel connection on my tank.  anyone happen to know if there is a readily available oring that size if triumph tries to ship me one from merry ole england?

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "wdkng_24"anyone happen to know if there is a readily available oring that size if triumph tries to ship me one from merry ole england?

If your local Triumph dealer is worth a sh!t, they will have O-rings they saved from the great recall. My dealer has given me a few.

Bruin
Bruin\'

tyrebyter

The bike comes from Merry Old England but the fuel fittings come from America the Beautiful manufactured by Colder Products Company. My dealer gets o-rings from them. If yours doesn't, call Steve at PJ's Triumph: 505-323-6700.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

looch

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "wdkng_24"it is in the range however for the overflow line recall based on VIN number...

Any details on this, especially what the range is which is affected and what needed doing? I just got a blank look when I asked my local Triumph agent.

A little late, but:

Recall service bulletin 331:

VIN Range 124104 - 198754

Fault Code: 02103598

Repair Code: 99331

Details: Check orientation of coolant overflow hoses. Check for extension hose inside overflow reservoir.

Disconnect the hose located on the side of the resevoir. Introduce a gentle flow of low pressure air (blow in it). It should vent to the atmosphere. If it doesn't, swap the hoses - check that the other one vents first. Also, check that there is an extension hose inside the resevoir attached to the fitting on the top of the resevoir.
Looch

NortonCharlie

Kent,

I have a few on hand, I just picked them up at Scott supply across the street from Webers.  You should be able to find one locally at a supply house or possibly a good auto parts store.  Watch out for the hardware store, alot of those o rings can't handle fuel.  Anything they use for hydralics should get you by.

BTW, it is pretty easy to nick the o-rings.  I've done it more than once.

Charlie
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

iansoady

Quote from: "looch"A little late, but:

Recall service bulletin 331:

VIN Range 124104 - 198754

Fault Code: 02103598

Repair Code: 99331

Many thanks for that Looch, mine is just after the end of that range. Is there somewhere all the recalls are listed? Triumph's own site only has a couple.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650