News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Petrol guage query

Started by Jim S, January 04, 2007, 02:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim S

Happy new year to all!

Quick question, ok, this fuel guage on my 04 955i is starting to bug me now. Most times when I fill the bike it registers as empty but recovers after a quarter tank is used, and occasionally it drops mid tank and puts on the warning light.

What I want to ask is how much is a new sender unit? Where can I get one? And what's the steps for doing this work?

I know taking the tank off is a heap of hassle compared to my old Hondas so if someone could fill me in with the problems incurred it may make life easier for me!
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

GatorTiger

I would start with checking the connections to the sender and the cables. Unplug it, check the connections, add some dielectric grease (non-conductive stuff, keeps corrosion off the contacts), and plug them back in. Check the cables for broken insulation (i.e. possible shorts).

If it's still happening you might need to replace the sender unit. Not sure how much it is, though...

Cheers,

HG
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

iansoady

Mine was doing exactly the same. I've taken it out and dismantled it, including cutting the black plastic tube at the bottom to check that the float moves up & down freely (which it does). Now it's back in it seems to work but we'll see.....

AFAIK a new sender unit is around £90 or so which is why I tried to fix mine.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

2004Tiger

New sender unit about $80 in Denver at Erico. Big thread on this topic last year, do a search. Your quick question has an encylopedic array of answers.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

MARKC

Fuel gauge seems to be a weak point on the Tiger.It was completely hopeless on my 900. The 04   955 I got in November has been back twice to have the sender renewed under warrenty according to the service book. I usually stick to the trip meter to judge fuel.

iansoady

I have a suspicion that the orientation of the gauge might have a bearing on whether it works - as you will know, the mounting plate is symmetrical so it can be fitted 4 different ways round. When I was examining it closely, I noticed the letters "AR" an one side - this of course could be French for rear (arriere). So that's the way I've refitted it.

This could of course be total b*****ks.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

malc

I had exaclty the same problem on my 06 I took it back to the dealers who plugged it in & it came up with "fuel sensor fault" after investigation they replaced the actual guage in the cluster of clocks & not the sender (undert warranty) its been fine since & that was around 3-4 months back
its grrreaaattttttttt