News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger flat battery

Started by aussietiggar, February 06, 2007, 01:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussietiggar

My 2005 Tiger has an electrical problem, left me stranded.

The battery went flat while riding, after 2 jump starts got home.

I checked the charge rate the voltage drops with RPM.

Can any one confrim  what the charger output should be at various RPM's.

I was riding with a bunch of BMW's it was painfully embarrasing.

The Tiger only has 3000km's on it.

len

My Tiger has the same problem, I installed a new battery and it helped somewhat but I still have issues. I wonder what it is...?

ipollen

I have a voltmeter on my bike and between 1500rpm and 5000rpm the charge is around 14.2 - 14.5

Regards, Ian

This issue is normally related to instalation of headlamp relays. Have any of you installed relays to get both headlamps working? If so, you've got the wrong type of relay. Just go to Triumph and buy from them to avoid any further possible confussion.

len

As far as I know everything is stock Triumph parts.

aussietiggar

I jut visited Mr Triumph with my bike problems, When the battery/charge system failed the engine warning light came on as well, Mr Triumph plugged in his machine and came up with a fuel pump relay error this was cancelled and the error did not come up again.

To get the bike to triumph I charged the battery on a bench, got the bike to his workshop no problems and we checked the charge rate this was perfect there was no explaination for the charge failure .

I suspect if the bike has been left for a while, mine had not been ridden for 2 months there might be enough charge in the battery to start the bike but the voltage might not be enough to get the charge system to start working, a battery just charged retains a higher voltage after cranking so correctly excites the charging circuits, my theory only.

I have no accesories fitted

aussietiggar

I jut visited Mr Triumph with my bike problems, When the battery/charge system failed the engine warning light came on as well, Mr Triumph plugged in his machine and came up with a fuel pump relay error this was cancelled and the error did not come up again.

To get the bike to triumph I charged the battery on a bench, got the bike to his workshop no problems and we checked the charge rate this was perfect there was no explaination for the charge failure .

I suspect if the bike has been left for a while, mine had not been ridden for 2 months there might be enough charge in the battery to start the bike but the voltage might not be enough to get the charge system to start working, a battery just charged retains a higher voltage after cranking so correctly excites the charging circuits, my theory only.

I have no accesories fitted

You're not running 2000 watts of accessories are you?

Seriously though. I'd suspect a regulator/rectifier fault. I had the same thing on a Yamaha back in 1979. But, that failed and stayed failed.

I don't think you need any particular amount of charge in a battery to enable it to be charged by the bike's charging system.

TripleFan

I'm watching this thread with interest. 2005 tiger, battery checks good. Voltage while riding 30 minutes or so will hit around 13.6 at 4k. Best I've seen since I put the meter on is 14V. Wierd part is, it'll all of a sudden drop off to 12.5. Alternator seems to check out at ~15 volts (AC) at idle running up to around 16.5 at 2k. Connections all check.
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

aussietiggar

Just through a multimeter over my bike found the following

13.75vdc cold at Idol changed to 14.2vdc after a while.

13.06vdc at 4k rpm

measured at the battery.

11.9vac across 2 phases at the 3 way plug

8.3vac at the same point at 4k rpm

all three phases were the same.

I guess it is looking like the alternator might be playing up, does any one have the resistance spec's for the windings. I will check what my local Mr Triumph say's about it

aussietiggar

Just through a multimeter over my bike found the following

13.75vdc cold at Idol changed to 14.2vdc after a while.

13.06vdc at 4k rpm

measured at the battery.

11.9vac across 2 phases at the 3 way plug

8.3vac at the same point at 4k rpm

all three phases were the same.

I guess it is looking like the alternator might be playing up, does any one have the resistance spec's for the windings. I will check what my local Mr Triumph say's about it

Quote from: "TripleFan"Wierd part is, it'll all of a sudden drop off to 12.5.

My (limited) knowledge says that if your battery reaches full charge, the regulator will switch to a lower input, hence the drop to 12.5v. You should worry if there's no charge at all going in.

Sasquatch

Went through exactly the same thing on my 01.  It stumped my dealer (it was under warranty).  The battery checked, the charging checked, but it would go flat while riding.  He changed the Regulator, no change.  Out of frustration he put in a new battery even though the old one load tested fine.  Four years later and I have never had the problem again.

That said, I was unhappy with the low charge voltage at the battery.  I took my Fluke DMM and starting at the RR started probing the charge lead from it to the battery.  It dropped about .75 volts going through all the connections.  I plan on cleaning this up in the future and putting one good lead from the RR through a new main fuse (that is easier accessible) directly to the battery.

TripleFan

Sasquatch, I suspect we have the same dealer.... What I got was don't run the motolights, heated grips, electric vest especially at the lights. I'm at the point of trying a new battery just because having the battery go flat enough it won't start every couple days when I'm commuting is a pain. And of course it's always at the work end of the commute. Charge it and I'm good for a couple more days.  :(
Triplefan

2005 Tiger

XS850LG

XS850G

Sasquatch

I can run a full heated jacket liner, grips, socks and my GPS no problem.