News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Centerstand Install

Started by CBAT, September 06, 2007, 04:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CBAT

Well, I received my MoTech center stand from Twisted Throttle today and dove into the install. Boy did I underestimate the amount of work to do.  :shock: Oh, the humanity! The carnage in the garage is hard to bear but I will endure.  :)  Unlike the stock center stand, this one used the frame mounting point for the lower suspension link. Translate: remove all fairing panels, remove the exhaust behing the headers, disconnect the rear suspension. I only had a couple hours to work on it today so here is where I am.

Lets's play name the part...

I'll get back to it tomorrow. Up on the stand to undo the rear suspension and slip the stand in place.
Bruce

Stretch

Dood!  You stripped all that stuff off, and there was a bicycle underneath?  No wonder the CS won't fit!

:mrgreen:

CBAT

Quote from: "Stretch"
Dood!  You stripped all that stuff off, and there was a bicycle underneath?  No wonder the CS won't fit!

:mrgreen:

:lol:  :lol:
Off to the garage now!
Bruce

ned37

boy, i dunno, looks like a lotta work and a big cash outlay.
 i went this route:  15 minutes work, $3.50  cash outlay :D
note deluxe carrying case on left (complete with slime)
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

tigerrider

I have always been reluctant to use the "stick" because early Steamers had more than a few reports of the sidestand snapping in half. :shock:

I have the OEM centerstand in a box ( have had for over 4 years) and plan on getting a dealer to do soon...but still tihnk about doing this myself.

Mudhen

\'96 Steamer

CBAT

Man does that stick/whatever that is look unstable. I thought about the stick under the foot peg route but was concerned about the weight on the side stand. I used that method on my old XL600 (320lbs) using rocks or whatever I could find to prop it up. This is better. Yeah it costs more but it'll always be there and will hold the wieght.   On to the report.....

I had some honey do errands to run this morning so it wasn't until about noon that I was able to get to work. First to get her up on the lift, no prblem with a little cribbing.  Here is the object of all the attention....the suspension linkage/frame mount.

Everything came apart real easy. No frozen or rusted up parts. Now we're making progress. Just line up all the parts, there are 5 peices and then the bolt.  

Once it's all together, it really fits up in there nicely.

I hope Suzi wasn't getting jealous of all the attention on the new girl.

Things are starting to come back together. Now it's down to the rack and body work/fairing. No problems. This is a really well put together device. Finish and parts were all the quality I expected for the price. My only complaint is the lack of detailed instructions. All you get is a parts list and a picture. Here's a link to the PDF file on their website...  

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/filemanager/download/1248/

Finished around 3:30. Total time on the install about 6 hours. It takes a while to figure out how things come apart the first time you do it. Next time I'll have the experience on this bike. I highly recommend anyone taking this on to use the service manual to take her down to where you can get to that suspension linkage. Don't even think about it if you don't have a good lift to get her off the floor.

Final results....centerstand sweetness.  :D

Bruce

aeronca

that looks great - good job. all though it makes me sick how clean your bike is, im running out to my garage right now to start scubbing :)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

ned37

QuoteMan does that stick/whatever that is look unstable
actually quite stable.  you only jack it up high enough to get the wheel off the ground.  i ground one end to a point so it will sit in the clamp hole on the back, and welded on a 1/2 pipe to use it for the front. (goes under the skidplate bar)  its used strictly as an emergency lift in the field.  in the garage i use wood and a jack too.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

steammoto

Thanks for the write up, will come in handy.
1995 Steamer Diablo

steammoto

CBAT,
What windshield do you have installed. At 6' I'm looking for something that will make highway speeds less combative.

Thanks
1995 Steamer Diablo

CBAT

I don't know. It came with the bike. One of the more seasoned steamer owners may be able to identify it. It does very well at highway speeds. I'm 6'2" and the airstream hits just about the peak on my MX helmet that I wear this time of year. The side slips around my shoulders nicely yet provides enough air to stay relatively cool in the Texas heat.
Bruce

BR

Hey Bruce,
Nice work on your install.  I've got an OEM centerstand on my '98 and I couldn't live without it.  I rarely use the side stand.
Just wanted to say that on your Sept 6 post,  on the first close up picture of your suspension linkage etc, I noticed that your chain tensioner appears to be missing its rubber block (gold colored bracket with two holes in it).  There should be a big rubber block on the end there and it looks like your bracket is rubbing directly on your chain (not good).  Don't worry tho, it's a $10 item from Triumph and easy to install.
Regards,

Brendan R.
'98 BRG Tiger
San Jose, CA

Mudhen

Quote from: "BR"Hey Bruce,
Nice work on your install.  I've got an OEM centerstand on my '98 and I couldn't live without it.  I rarely use the side stand.
Just wanted to say that on your Sept 6 post,  on the first close up picture of your suspension linkage etc, I noticed that your chain tensioner appears to be missing its rubber block (gold colored bracket with two holes in it).  There should be a big rubber block on the end there and it looks like your bracket is rubbing directly on your chain (not good).  Don't worry tho, it's a $10 item from Triumph and easy to install.
Regards,

Brendan R.
'98 BRG Tiger
San Jose, CA

Hey Brendan!

You mean you don't have to take the swingarm off?  Boooring.   :lol:

Good eye!
\'96 Steamer

CBAT

Thanks for letting me know. Since I've only had the critter for a little over a month I'm still learning all the parts.
Bruce